1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Me About Your Dog

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Came home tonight after a day full of fuckery. Just a lot of roll your eyes shit. And I'm pissed. Sinus headache. Can't believe the morons I work with...normal stuff, but exacerbated by the headache that seems to pound a little bit harder by each tick of the clock. So I shoulder-open the stuck front door to my home in a fully annoyed manner after careening into the driveway at top speed. And there's my stubborn pug, front and center, immediately sensing my mood (almost empathetically) and gazing adoringly at me, licking anything he can get a hold of, and behaving like I actually own HIM and not the other way around. I am so in love with this damn dog. His name is Edgar. Just take him for granted sometimes, but he makes me laugh until I cry and get embarrassed. I think this ridiculous looking animal is the best dog I have ever owned. Tell me about the best dog you ever owned...

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Have a miniature schnauzer. Acts tough when someone comes to the door, but is far from a tough dog.

She's a playful pooch. Fairly smart (she can do most of the basic tricks). The most annoying thing - other than her tough-dog attitude - is she is constantly trying to lick you. She hops up on your lap and snaps the tongue like a snake.

It's the only dog I've ever owned. Love the fact that she doesn't shed and that she's playful, but can do without the yelping every time someone comes to the door, and that includes me when after I get done taking out the trash.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The best dog is the one we have now. She's a rescue dog (dalmatian-terrier mix) and very smart... .lickingest dog you've ever seen...
    Have a photo taken maybe five years ago by Ms. Slappy's mom... was myself, Ms. Slappy and the dog. Mom said 1-2-3 smile! and we did.
    Photo came back and Ms. slappy and I were smiling -- so was the dog....

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Shep is my first dog (other than the run of family dogs while growing up) and, I suspect, he will be my last dog. He is too perfect for words.

Dammit, I'm crying already.

It doesn't matter how rotten of a day I could have. To come home and have him so happy to see me, well ... none of it matters anymore. Two years ago, when my world turned upside down and I got laid off, I had thoughts of ending it all.

He saved me. I knew I couldn't leave him alone in this world of people who had already abandoned him twice.

I take him wherever I can. I traded in my beloved Mustang to make that easier. We go hiking, we go for long walks by the river, we go for hill sprints together.

One of my best friends is a dog person. She says she's never before seen the love he shows in his eyes when he looks at me.

He means the world to me and I can't imagine life without him.

And yeah, I know it all sounds a bit much and there will people who don't understand. I feel a little bit sorry for those people, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. pallister

pallister Guest

I would have had a hard time surviving the last six years without my two dogs (lab mix and a mutt). No matter how bad things are going for me, no matter how bad my day's been, it always cheers me up when my dogs meet me at the door, wagging their tails and jumping up and down because they're so happy to see me. It's a great feeling.

EDIT: Flash beat me to much of what I just tried to say.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You make me smile by reading this...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

No offence to those in the other thread, but I'd much rather write about something positive like that than to vent about a rotten day.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Understood, Flash. But I've never had pets around the house, therefore I can't contribute to this thread. Then again, do I ever contribute anything? :)

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Never? Wow. I didn't have any pets the first three years after high school while living on my own, but otherwise, I've had dogs, cats or both throughout my life.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No dogs, but a pair of fantastic cats.

Maggie

[​IMG]

And the infamous Stan Solo

[​IMG]

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We miss our lab-based mutt, Abby, something fierce.

She died ... dang, has it been going on a year already?

We still have four cats – five, if you count the one who now thinks the back yard belongs to him/her since there's no dog there. But it ain't the same.

Life's a little too complex for us to add a replacement animal right now. But I don't think I can go another summer without a dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted