1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telander raises pimp hand

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 27, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Actually, what they think is that we're self-important blowhards who think they care more about what journalists do than they really do.

You know, maybe journalists will never be the most-loved profession out there. But dammit, we really could help ourselves once in a while rather than embrace the disconnect.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No, it really doesn't.

I think a lot of columnists like to think that people give a shit about them, their problems, and the inside baseball of our industry, because it makes them feel more important.

It's a misguided belief that it justifies their existence, as if writing about the teams and sports stories fans really care about doesn't justify it enough.

Save the sniping and self-important stuff for a blog.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Do you know that people dislike this stuff? Any proof at all? I'm just curious. Because I think people like this stuff enough. I don't think people buy a paper to read media quarrels, or media-player quarrels, but i've had people ask me about them. i don't know if this column was particularly newsworthy, but i don't think the inner workings of the media is an anathema to readers.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jeffrey, people ask you about them because you're in the business. If you were an architect, they would ask you about the dynamics of dealing with other architects.

Draft saved Draft deleted