1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telander calls out "immature Bears."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 85bears, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not only that - He had tryout with the Chiefs of Hank Stram Era.

2. Boom_70

Tatum was a safety

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In college, he was a corner, Boom.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Also played some linebacker in college.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

He was drafted, was he not? He went to camp and got cut, from what I remember.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Altogether the Happiest Place on Earth!

7. Boom_70

Kind of fun looking back at 1970 All America team

Offense
    E Tom Gatewood, Notre Dame
    Ernie Jennings, Air Force
    Elmo Wright, Houston
    T Dan Dierdorf, Michigan
    Bob Newton, Nebraska
    Bobby Wuensch, Texas
    G Larry DiNardo, Notre Dame
    Chip Kell, Tennessee
    C Don Popplewell, Colorado
    QB Jim Plunkett, Stanford
    RB Don McCauley, North Carolina
    Steve Worster, Texas

Defense
    E Bill Atessis, Texas
    Charlie Weaver, Southern Cal.
    T Dick Bumpas, Arkansas
    Rock Perdoni, Georgia Tech.
    MG Jim Stillwagon, Ohio St.
    LB Mike Anderson, LSU
    Jack Ham, Penn St.
    DB Tommy Casanova, LSU
    Dave Elmendorf, Texas A&M
    Jack Tatum, Ohio St.
    Larry Willingham, Auburn

8. The Basement

The Basement Member

this is old news, at least in Chicago.
    on local radio, i believe telander said he did feel physically threatened, while Gilmore came on and said he wasn't even in the locker room that day, had never met Telander, or had never seen Telander in the locker room since he joined the Bears.

as for the antics, Gilmore admitted it is immature, but there's nothing ever malicious about it.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

A guy in junior high could make a siren noise. Calling it loud is like calling the Browns below average. He could have drowned out Ronnie Woo Woo.

Alas, he had his tonsils removed, and that was the end of that. A true pity.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Telander actually said so in the column -- "Tight end John Gilmore glared and angrily screamed, 'GET OUT OF HERE!' I looked at him and marveled. I don't recall ever having spoken to him about anything." So that much adds up.

As for feeling physically threatened by athletes, if they're doing to do you harm, let them do it. And then sue them.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Want to bet he didn't? There are a hell of a lot more of them, they're all at least 20 years younger, some of them outweigh him by 150 pounds, and some of them have criminal records.

Go ahead and let that bus hit you. We'll sue the transit authority for millions. Sorry, those logical legal arguments aren't uppermost in your mind when you feel you're in danger.

12. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Shithead players.
    That's one reason I'm glad I won't get back into the sports side when I return from the Public Affiars abyss to active reporting.
    I'm going to news side.
    Was watching a replay of the Chiefs/Chargers game last nite, with the format that quotes are infused and there's no waiting between plays.
    Can't recall the name of the show - something like NFL Replay or somesuch.
    Anyway, the quotes from all the players after the game, around their lockers, and from the coaches Shotty and Herm, were pure shit.
    Coach-speak and player-speak. I hate that shit.
    On a side note, Telander swore all sportsreporting off when he wrote "The Hundred Yard Lie"
    Said he'd never do it again.
    Telander's had some good stuff through the years, but he's always sounded like sort of a pansy to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted