1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tehachapi (Calif.) News, part-time sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by zewing, Mar 3, 2017.

1. zewing

zewing Member

The Tehachapi News is a weekly based in a mountain town about 45 minutes east of Bakersfield. It is owned by The Bakersfield Californian. It's a great outdoors town (altitude about 4,000 feet) with a feverish prep sports following.

I'm not intimately familiar with parameters of the job, but DM me with questions and I'll do my best to get answers.

Tehachapi News
    is currently recruiting for a part-time sports reporter. This person will report and write sports stories and assist with other news coverage as assigned. This person will edit some copy and make corrections as needed to conform to AP style, proper grammar and sentence structure. This person will also be involved in preparing and posting news to social media.

Qualifications Include:
    • At least one year experience as a reporter
    • High School diploma or equivalent required. Post secondary education in Journalism or related field may be submitted to meet experience requirement
    • Ability to report and write about all sports
    • Typing skills required
    • Proficient with PhotoShop
    • Experience with Mac-based video editing tools a plus
    • Familiarity with Macintosh, word processing software, email and content management systems highly desirable
    • Must have California Driver’s License with acceptable DMV record, independent transportation and insurance

2. albert777

albert777 Active Member

In the immortal words of the late, great Lowell George:

"I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah..."

That's all I've got.

3. bourq25

bourq25 Member

I've also been to Tucson....for what it's worth.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Excellent football program up in the hills. And don't know, obviously, how close you'll be working with them, but it's a good crew down at the Californian. 45 minutes to an hour (on a windy mountain highway) to Bakersfield and from there a couple of hours to LA. Heading east, figure a few hours to Las Vegas, Laughlin or Lake Havasu City.

Of course, some will say the town hasn't been the same since a 7.5 quake hit in 1952.

Draft saved Draft deleted