1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen Beaten By Police; Family Filing Police Complaint

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, May 19, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/05/18/nr.teen.police.beating.tape.cnn

Really? This is sickening.

2. I may get flamed for this, but unlike the other video, there is no footage of what happened before the neighbor got there and started shooting video. Although, with two police officers there, I have a hard time believing they had to inflict as much punnishment on him as they did.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

All I saw was them holding and then searching him. While they may have roughed him up before the taping began, we don't have any evidence of it.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree with the above posts....it will be tough to prove the officers were responsible for his injuries by that video.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I understand that police brutality does happen.

That being said I almost always give the police the benefit of the doubt these days in these cases -- people act like animals and police are on edge as a result of it.

You never know who is armed, who is not, who is high on something and who is just an asshole - and frankly, getting home to kiss your babies and your wife should be your number one goal on the job.

So if you have to use a night stick to beat someone to get them in cuffs or a Taser or a Stun Gun or whatever, do what it takes.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Then I bet this cop wishes you were his lawyer

7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Zag, I'm with you.

Over the years I've met a number of cops and they are all upstanding caring people. The shit and abuse they put with is beyond what 99.99% of the general public would tolerate. So what if there is the occasional mistake made, they are only human. Forget preaching about a 'civil North American society', it's violent and degrading rapidly. Law enforcement is the only thing between "us" and "them" and I endorse whatever tactics necessary to send a message to the criminal element. They have taken over the streets in countless towns and cities in the US and Canada to the point where people are afraid to take public transit or walk down the street.

To hell with the criminals and all the bleeding liberals who seem to think these deadbeats are 'special' people and critisize the police for some tactics they need to employ to try to keep the rest of us safe. IMHO anyone against tough law enforcement is pro crime.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That post probably reads better in the original German.

9. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

My Dad, his 3 brothers, my Mother and her 2 sisters and her 2 brothers all fought the Germans in that big dispute during the '40's.

They are all alive and I think the same way they do. All of us are successful, caring generous people who aren't taken, as many are, by intellectuals and their writings who have no connection with the real world.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Why is it that the "law and order!" folks are always arguing the law shouldn't apply to the police? Genuinely baffles me.

Anyway, I could give two shits about this case. I was merely reacting to your absurd suggestion that you support "whatever tactics necessary to send a message to the criminal element," in a post justifying vigilantism.

Which is against the law, I hasten to add. The cops shouldn't break the law, any more than the "criminal element" should.

If that makes me a "bleeding liberal" or "intellectual," well, so be it.

11. Law enforcement uber alles!

Endut.

Hoch hech.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

This was a kid.
    Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted