1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technical baseball question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 15, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes, but does he get two PAs on the stat sheet? He's batting under two discrete events.

Thank you for the responses.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, he doesn’t get the plate appearance until he gets an outcome. If he’s just standing at the plate when a runner is thrown out, it’s not a plate appearance. And his ball-strike count (if any) doesn’t carry over to the next inning.

maumann, Sea Bass and bigpern23 like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

OK, to extend it further: Say this happens in the top of the first inning and the batter (a first baseman) is injured getting out of the way of the catcher on the stolen base attempt, which results in a third out. Is the guy credited with a game played? He hasn't set foot on the diamond as a fielder.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I feel like the answer is yes, but didn't Ripkin have to wait until the 5th inning until he got his games-played record officially?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

My guess is yes, as he was in the starting lineup.

EDIT: Rule 9.20 says yes.

https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/2/4/305750224/2019_Official_Baseball_Rules_FINAL_.pdf

3_Octave_Fart and maumann like this.
  6. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Yes, but that was so the game would be an official completed game, not so that Ripken's participation in it would be sufficient. He could have played in the field for the first batter and been replaced, and it would have been enough as long as the game went the required five innings to make it official.

Spartan Squad and maumann like this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Once Ripken's streak became a thing, I'm pretty sure he was never lifted before or during his first plate appearance, so nobody could demand any asterisks attached to the streak.

I think, although I could be wrong, in the last couple seasons of the streak, he was very occasionally lifted late in blowout games -- although for the great majority of the streak, he played every inning of every game.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

His PA’s appear to bear that out. In 1998, the year the streak ended, he played in 161 of 162 games. He had at least three PA’s in 159 games, had two in one game, and had one in the season finale.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

i believe a pinch running appearance would not count in terms of a games-played streak, unless the runner steals a base, is thrown out, or scores a run.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did a little research on the (aka I asked Baseball Reference.) The streak continues!

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Ball four = "dead play"? No. For example, a batter/runner can attempt to get beyond first on a base on balls - as sometimes happens when the pitch isn't handled cleanly.

12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

As someone already said, the ball is dead on an HBP.

Also, a turn toward second doesn't necessarily mean the runner made an effort to gain second base. Overruning first base and turning left as part of a 180-degree turn back to first base doesn't constitute an effort to gain second base and doesn't put the runner in jeopardy.

Draft saved Draft deleted