1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teams on an extended road trip...looking for help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Halpert, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Alright, so there's a HS team in my area that hasn't been able to play or practice at home in about a month and a half due to construction. Team earned the top seed in the playoffs but couldnt take full advantage due to not being able to play in its true home. What I'm looking for are examples of pro teams (or major college i suppose) that have had to go through a similar circumstance.

There must be something, right? Any help would be appreciated. My brain is shot and I feel like I must be overlooking the obvious. Also, something other than teams displaced by Katrina or some other sort of disaster. It just feels foolish to compare that to something like this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Bears played a season in Champaign when Soldier Field was being renovated.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The Bears played an entire season outside Chicago while Soldier Field was renovated. The preseason of the next year also was outside Chicago, and the first home game was played the third week of the season.

The team's 2001 playoff game was treated as an inconvenience, as cranes were waiting outside the stadium to begin work.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Expos were homeless for about a month when part of the roof fell. Someone in here may remember the year and details.

5. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Thanks for the extremely fast response. Just looked up some information surrounding that season for the Bears and it appears that example may actually fit pretty well with what I was trying to do.

If anyone else has any suggestions, keep 'em coming.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The Seahawks played two seasons at Husky Stadium after the Kingdome was demolished and while Qwest Field was being built.

In 1994, the Mariners finished the strike-shortened season with a long string of road games after some ceiling tiles fell in the Kingdome.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NY Giants played a season in the Yale Bowl, as I recall, and the Yankees played a year in Shea while Yankee Stadium was being renovated back in the '70s. The Carolina Panthers played their first season (1995) in Clemson, SC, while their stadium in Charlotte was being built. The Oilers played in Memphis on their way out of Houston before the building in Nashville was ready.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

* Oilers played in Memphis while waiting for their new stadium in Nashville to be completed. Memphians were so supportive that the team left for Nashville a year early, biding their time at Vanderbilt Stadium (capacity 41k).

* Carolina Panthers played their first season in Clemson, S.C.

* Braves had a multi-week road trip around the 96 Olympics.

* Astros had a lengthy road trip (not quite as bad) while the Astrodome hosted the 92 Republican convention.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Didn't Syracuse football have to play an entire season of road games because the Carrier Dome was being built on the site of the old stadium?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Was about to mention the Braves during the '96 Olympics. They played 17 games in five cities in an 18-day stretch.

The Jazz did the same thing during the '02 Winter Games -- they had nine straight games on the road.

Also during the '02 Olympics, the Weber State basketball teams didn't have any home games -- their arena was the media center for the curling competition held next door at the Ice Sheet.

In 1984, the Dodgers played 13 straight road games because of the Summer Olympics.

And this has been mentioned, but the Expos played the final 26 games of the 1991 season away from Montreal after a beam fell from the side of Olympic Stadium.

And the Astros' 1992 road trip because of the GOP convention can't be understated: 26 games in 28 days (they went 12-14). That's the granddaddy of 'em all.

11. Babs

Babs Member

The Carolina Hurricanes played a year in Greensboro NC while their arena (outside Raleigh) was being built.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the northern league team from gary, ind., played an entire season on the road because they joined the league before their stadium was ready.

Draft saved Draft deleted