1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Team cuts your kid? Sue 'em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 29, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Enough already.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/gthl/article/829749--parents-sue-gthl-after-sons-cut-by-team?bn=1

Two sets of parents are suing the Greater Toronto Hockey League, one of its clubs and four coaches for $25,000 each because their sons were cut by the Avalanche Minor Sports Club midget junior A team during tryouts in April.

It gets better:

Their direct actions have caused irreparable psychological damage to Daniel Longo’s self esteem as an impressionable teenager and demoralized Daniel as an athlete and team hockey player with his peers,” the Longo statement of claim reads. “The conduct by all defendants destroyed the dignity of my son, whom in good conscience gave his team nothing but his best efforts.”

Minor midget is for fifteen year olds. The psychological damage from being cut is nothing compared to the crap they're going to get from their peers for letting their parents go ahead with this crap.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Man.
    I got cut enough times to retire on the settlement money.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sue your parents for not suing. :)

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know nothing about minor leagues and junior leagues - but isn't this a very competitive level of hockey - like some of these kids will be in the NHL?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gee, what's next? Parents suing a newspaper for not putting their kid's name in the story?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This topic is always uppermost in the "Ask Loopy: Advice To The Sportslorn"
    feature.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The GTHL is an extremely competitive league up the minor midget level. From there kids go on to the OHL - or US college. It is a complete cesspool as JR - a reformed GTHL parent - knows full of lunatic parents, scumbag coaches (some of whom get very well paid to run their teams) and an administration that seems to constantly be under fire for something.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There are basically three levels of competition in the GTHL. "A", "AA" and "AAA".

As Huggy knows, most OHL kids (and US college) come from the AAA level with the very odd one coming from the AA level.

Kids playing at the A level (like the two in this story) ain't going anywhere---they'd be hard pressed to make a Junior B or Junior C team.

My eldest played goal at the AA level before he gave hockey up for football (in his second year of midget). And trust me, there are some whackjob parents at that level

And Huggy's right about the coaches. Some real scumbags who are as delusional about their coaching abilities as some parents are about their kids' talents.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As usual with these things, I'm guessing there's way more to story than what appeared in the paper. Later on the story points out the two coaches who decided on cuts may not have been allowed to be there, because they had been suspended for a year for "tampering." So I wonder if there have long been issues between these parents and GTHL, or these parents and these coaches, or something. I'm not rooting for the suing parents, but I'm not rooting for those coaches and the GTHL, either. This sounds like a long-simmering conflict that, between overly aggrieved parents and douchebag league officials, has grown out of control.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Baron, that almost happened a shop I was at once.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Now that's just crying out for you to provide the details.

12. CR19

CR19 Member

Imagine the judge's look when he hears what this case is about.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted