1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Aug 28, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Today I begin two new phases of my life: teaching and college student.

At work, I'm going to be a facilitator, teaching a class of 51 newly hired employees, showing them how to do what we do here, and it's a three-week curriculum. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous because I've never taught before. Wish me luck.

Then after the work day is finished, I'll zip over to the local community college and start the first day of my first-ever college class, U.S. History II (you can take them out of order, apparently). At 35, I should have long ago started work on my degree, but rather than lament the late start, I'm just pushing ahead. Again, wish me luck.

As such, because of all these changes, I may not be able to post on the board as much as I'd like to, but I still enjoy the company of all you fine fellows and ladies.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Much luck indeed, A2.

And if any them bastuds get out of line, bust out the whoopin' stick.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Don't forget to beat the shit out of the biggest guy there so the rest of the class knows who's in charge.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sit in front of the class and show off your knowledge by speaking up and being the best student. The other students will worry that you will do well on tests and they'll be worried about the curve!

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

You will terrify the young college students. They'll come to look at you with a mix of awe and scorn. "How does that old fart do so well on these test? Was he there when Lee signed the surrender papers?" and "That SOB doesn't have anything better to do that to study for these damn tests! I'll bet he's never invited to the keggers *I* go to!"

As a former Navy man, you'll crush them. And you could probably pound them at the kegger, too.

6. busdriver

busdriver Member

so if I miss behave in class( at the house) will I get in trouble to. and buy the way what do I need to do to get in trouble ;D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Take it to a room, but leave the door cracked.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good luck to you AA.

I went back to school after being out a while. It sure was different than the first time. When you're older, you just want to slap around the loosers who would rather do anything but learn.

On the other hand, the weather's warm and there should be hundreds of 18 year old girls wandering around the local JC wearing tank tops and shorts. So you've got that going for you, which is nice.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go get 'em, AA.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Facilitating my last section of the day and it's gone great so far. Some system issues (computer login problems, of course), but the opening of the class went great. Felt like a veteran. My curve ball was popping.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Did my first teaching a while ago and was terrified. Turned out to be one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Kick ass, Alley. :D

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now, of course, her students will ask for autographs, and if she knows John Waters.

Draft saved Draft deleted