1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChollyTrippi, Aug 4, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, you come up with that gem all by your lonesome? You must be an effin' stud!

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Especially since many allegedly professional journalists do this, and no one in the office sets them straight.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

And those who can't teach, teach gym. [/Annie Hall]

As for the class, Cholly, I wish you the best this year. Have fun and remember that, just maybe, some of these kids will wind up sticking with journalism down the road (I still talk with my high school newspaper adviser every month or so). And if any kids have a genuine interest in sports writing, you can never go wrong with BASW or The Sports Writing Handbook, by Thomas Fensch. It is pricey — $34.50 at Amazon, but well worth the cost.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Shotglass, as usual, has great advice. That book is just what I was going to suggest.

I'm not sure that you'd be up for this, but I took an online course through Eastern Illinois University (Go Panthers! Go Tony Romo!). It was a class designed for high school newspaper advisers. Most of the people in the class were English majors who were thrown into advising the school newspaper. People were spread across two states.
    While many were clueless to seriously confused, a few had years of experience. The professor required a high level of communication, with regular web board posts and required responses. I learned tons about advising a high school newspaper, and I taught the students tons about journalism.
    The professor has tons of experience. I believe he hosted annual conferences at the university for high school journalists. He also holds a law degree and advised several high schools on First Amendment and liable law issues.
    I'm not sure if the class is still offered, but I can check it out per your request.

Draft saved Draft deleted