1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher suspended for telling it like it is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 16, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, Poin. It's not one of those. She's getting screwed bythe system, not the kids...

EASTERVILLE, Pennsylvania (AP) — A high school English teacher in suburban Philadelphia who was suspended for a profanity-laced blog in which she called her young charges "disengaged, lazy whiners" is driving a sensation by daring to ask: Why are today's students unmotivated — and what's wrong with calling them out?

As she fights to keep her job at Central Bucks East High School, 30-year-old Natalie Munroe says she had no interest in becoming any sort of educational icon. The blog has been taken down, but its contents can still be found easily online.

Her comments and her suspension by the middle-class school district have clearly touched a nerve, with scores of online commenters applauding her for taking a tough love approach or excoriating her for verbal abuse. Media attention has rained down, and backers have started a Facebook group.

"My students are out of control," Munroe, who has taught 10th, 11th and 12th grades, wrote in one post. "They are rude, disengaged, lazy whiners. They curse, discuss drugs, talk back, argue for grades, complain about everything, fancy themselves entitled to whatever they desire, and are just generally annoying."

http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/02/philadelphia_english_teacher_s.html

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At least she wasn't asking for a living wage and benefits.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In this day and age, you have to be smarter than that.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

She should have done what every other teacher does: Just be a lush and complain about her students amongst other teachers.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Chris Christie thinks that she should go find another job if she doesn't like it.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That was a superbly dumb move on her part. The kids may be as bad as she says. But if she isn't able to find some joy in the job, find a few students who make coming to school worthwhile, then she should think about something else, for her own sanity.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Finding joy in the job may make this one for the Poin files ...

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You want her to try to teach half a dozen kids while the other 20 are re-creating "Animal House?" Yeah, that sounds like a dream job.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If there were blogs in the 1980s, the teachers then would have said the same thing about my generation as she's saying now.

Knock me over with a feather.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree. But in this day and age you have to be smarter than that.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember my biology teacher standing up and telling us how lazy we were because we weren't giving our reports the full attention they deserve. He also talked openly about how he and his wife weren't sure they wanted to conceive a child in this crazy world anyway. At 15 or 16 years old, you can imagine the overwhelming sensitivity we showed him.

12. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Other 20? Try 30. And it looks with teacher layoffs looming across the country, 50-student classes aren't that far off. It's hard enough to engage 25 teenagers. Fifty would be a small miracle.

Draft saved Draft deleted