1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teach me how to recycle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Parts of North Carolina haven't awakened to this recycling concept, Buck-Dub. Fully get where TBF is coming from.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never said I didn't, too, Sam. Just didn't want to give the impression that the South is devoid of ... recycling centers. They're around, just not everywhere.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sure, there are. I've just never lived around any of them.

And, now I live in a city of 120K that doesn't have a curbside program.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In summary, entirely too much of the South still thinks and treats its region like a giant dumpster.

(I knew you were aware of the difference, Buck-Dub, but it's stunning how slow the South has been to catch on to recycling. Shouldn't be a proud moment for natives, but I digress ... )

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Window envelopes - those envelopes where you address shows through a window instead of being printed on the envelope itself - are generally not recyclable.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've got curbside recycling every other week and the county provides me with two garbage can sized containers - one for paper and one for plastic/glass/aluminum.

Three or four times a year the county does a county-wide electronic waste recycling where you bring all of the electronics items you want to dispose of (TVs, CD players, computers, etc.) to a central location. They also do household hazard chemical recycling (paint, bleach, motor oil, etc.) three or four times a year as well.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I wish the whole thing was more standardized and consistent. I collect all my empty pop cans in the cardboard box they come in, and for some reason, this week they took the cans, but left the cardboard box.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

""My first dollar! Thanks to you, Lisa. And our hemp-smoking friend: Shine on, you crazy diamond!"

[​IMG]

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

NEMJ just busted the Tupelo "recycling" program that was dumping portions of material brought for recycling in the dump.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Really? Ouch. I'll have to look that up.

That's part of the recycling problem in the South (although this may be someone padding their pocket) ... it's just too expensive for these small towns.

The town in which I grew up and got my newspaper start had a recycling program that went tits up within a couple of years because it was too expensive.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We can now put banana peels, orange skins, vegtable peels, etc., in our yard waste recycle container. It's awesome. Yard waste, trash and regular recycling picked up curbside every Monday, rain or shine, every week of the year. It's one of the rare instances where privatization has worked outstandingly.

Our little family of 3 is down to about two grocery sacks of garbage every week and about half that once allergy season ends.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Best Buy, China...

Draft saved Draft deleted