1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBS was better with "The Beverly Hillbillies" and the Braves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Holy Shit! was this a real movie?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yet still better than Frank TV.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

WFW. And I had no idea they made that movie.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Meh. Should've ended with a sudden cut to black as Journey's Don't Stop Believing played in the background, and left it at that.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Come on, Tush was awesome.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

and these guys...

[​IMG]

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

TBS was also the original SEC football carrier. I still remember the cartoon intro with all the mascots.

They were JP before JP.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They'd also carry NBA playoffs in the mid 80s. Sleepy Floyd's big game against the Lakers in 1987 was on TBS.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I loved TBS for so many of those reasons. But I really dug to :05 starts. That gave me a bit of cushion to get home from my friends' houses in time for the shows. Kind of like when The Simpsons didn't really begin until 8:03 until recently. I could pick up my Chinese food at 7:50 and still make the first scene.

Life was good.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

No way does WGN ever dump the Cubs, and I don't think they'd ever dump the Sox and Bulls either.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Cable came to our town in 1984. The highlights in the early years were wrestling and Braves baseball on TBS, The Hitchhiker on HBO, 1st and Ten on HBO (starring O.J. and Delta Burke!), Not Necessarily the News (still love the Sniglets), multiple showings of Johnny Dangerously and Real Genius, and George Carlin specials.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course, that was before TNT was launched. Turner had to move NBA and NFL games there in order to get cable systems to carry his new creation.

TBS was unique in the late 70s and early 80s as one of the original cable channels. I can remember back when having cable used to mean a couple of out-of-town channels and one that showed the weather data 24/7. Then ESPN came along, and CNN, and USA Network and a million other wannabes. Now, it's all just background noise.

Draft saved Draft deleted