1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TBF's cooking tip of the day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 9, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen,

I learned a valuable kitchen lesson today.

ALWAYS, always follow recipe directions.

I had a filet of snapper (large enough for both of us) that I decided to cook, but really didn't know what I wanted to do with it. Grill it? Bake it? Fry it? No. Blacken it.

I remembered having bought a blackening rub a few months back and had not opened it. So, since I'd never blackened fish, I jumped online to look up the procedure. Sort-of like a doctor thumbing through his PDR.

I quickly found a recipe -- a lengthy article on the process -- and began to skim it. When describing the process, the software and hardware needed, the author warned potential blackeners to take the process outside. The smoke, he wrote, would fill the house and pretty much choke its inhabitants to death.

Well, he was right. Within seconds a cloud of white fumes began to choke us -- literally. I coughed and sputtered like a beat up 1976 Datsun B210 that used 2 quarts of oil an hour.

I began opening doors, windows, switching on fans and turned on the A/C. After about 30 minutes we dined on one of the worst meals I've ever eaten.

Moral(s) of the story: 1.) I'm a fucking idiot, and 2.) Follow recipe instructions.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I guess I won't be blackening fish anytime soon.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

kids, don't try this at home. ::) ::) ::)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It'd be cool to do ... outside.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

kids, don't try this IN home. ::) ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted