1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taylor v. Wright ends in a draw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jun 18, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I thought that was a pretty appropriate decision after a very entertaining fight.

Winky Wright didn't even try in the 12th, and he deserved to lose just based on that. Interestingly, one judge gave the 12th to Wright. Had he given it to Taylor, Taylor would have won the fight outright.

I hope Wright re-thinks his post-fight comments about not wanting a rematch. Sorry Winky, but you didn't win the fight outright. If you don't want a rematch, nobody will ever take you seriously again.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah... i had wright up a round going into that last round... and, well, seemed like if he woula just tried at the end, he'd have it. two or three punches would have been all it took

neither guy won -- and you shouldn't take a guy's belt in something like that

i'm guessing we'll see a rematch and i'm certainly looking forward to it

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I believe Taylor will take a walk over fight in Little Rock before giving Wink a rematch. There is no rematch clause since Taylor didn't lose, but Taylor is a pro, he'll give him one in 10 months or so.

Really good fight...I had the exact same 114-114 card as Lederman.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I had it 115-113 in favor of Taylor. I thought Taylor barely won the 9th round, but Lederman gave it to Wright.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I did not see this fight. I'm only going by having seen Taylor several times.

Does anyone else think this guy is not getting his due as one of the sport's rising superstars?

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Though Taylor won the first two fights with Hopkins, neither were very good fights and there was still some skepticism about Taylor's ability. He earned some respect after Hopkins dismantled Tarver, and I'm guessing he'll get even more after the way he fought against Wright.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I can't agree, maybe he hasn't hit mainstream yet but in just 26 fights he's had two major PPV events for the middleweight championship and tonight a match that HBO would've put on PPV if they didn't feel the need to occasionally throw their subscribers a bone. I think he's fought more than half his professional fights on HBO or PPV.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Popped in and out on the fight while watching American History X on Starz. From what I saw, I thought Taylor landed the better punches and had the better combinations. But he should have used his jab more to keep Winky from getting inside. And, for god's sake, keep your hands up.

9. Contrasting styles made judging the damn thing almost impossible.
    I can live with the draw, but I didn't think it was all that entertaining and I'm not sure I'll watch the rematch.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames, Cornerpersons,

I'm surprised to hear it was an entertaining fight. I'll catch it on replay but I have to say that I've never thought of Winky Wright as an entertaining fighter based on what I've seen. Not a risk taker, my impression. Could be wrong.

YHS, etc

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I thought it was entertaining because both guys were more aggressive than they had been in past fights.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maybe it's because I saw him against inferior competition on the way up, but I think Taylor is about as stylish and engaging a boxer as I've seen in a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted