1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, Feb 9, 2007.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I made a little on one gig for the one company, then my regular gig, about $700. Should I expect to get something from the company for which I did one thing?

Do I need to wait to file to get that 1099, or can HRBlock do that shit?

PS--I hate taxes.

Thanks again...

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They are supposed to mail out their 1099s by Jan. 31 ... so if you haven't received one yet, I would give them a call. Do they have your EIN number on file?

3. Shaggy, if I were in your situation I would take it to a real accountant. It'll be more expensive than say H&R Block but he'll help you find any loopholes and will give you ideas on saving money in later years ... I went to an accountant two years ago and have used that return as a model for the rest.

I think most people on here would be shocked to find out how little experience the majority of H&R Block employees have. A lot of them are seasonal. And if you look closely, all they're doing is working from what is essentially the same software as Turbotax, etc.

PS. I love taxes ...

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Exactly. Went to H&R Block once a few years ago ... never again.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Damnit. Here's a question: Didn't know moving expenses could be deducted. Moved 650 miles in February, spent probably $1K to move and another $2200 in paying off a lease in my previous locale...

If I don't have receipts for that stuff, I'm assuming it's a lost cause, huh? (which is no big deal, but....)

6. Did your employer reimburse you? You can probably get a record from them.

Always keep your receipts but in this case I would go ahead and use your number anyway. If you get audited, you can always contact the moving company for a receipt later.

Also, I'm not sure you can use deposits and lease breaking as moving expenses but someone else on here might know. I never have.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You can use deposits. I'm not sure if you can use lease breaking, but the moving expenses were SO easy using Turbo Tax.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't deduct it if you got reimbursed for it.

Otherwise, ye be double-dippin', matey, and the S.S. Audit will sail into port for a little R-and-R in your life.

9. Here's a question for you folks.

I work at a paper as a part-time guy, but i'm listed as a stringer and filed as a 1099 as being an ind. contractor.

However, I use their camera and their computer for the photos, which technically would mean I could not be listed as an ind. contractor.

Seeing as how this would take my taxes from around $800 to perhaps $200 (I'm a student as well), would you push that on the shop, to deduct taxes on you and eliminate the self employment tax?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The magic number for freelance stuff for a 1099 is indeed $600.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I've had State Farm for years and never knew that.

I, too, love Turbo Tax. Just a tip, though: I heard something on CNN (only half paid attention) about TT coming out before all the tax rules for 2006 were finalized, so be sure to run the updates when TT asks if you want to.

12. I know you're right when talking about being reimbursed for mileage, but from what I remember moving is a different story. My return actually asked me how much my paper reimbursed me for my last move.

Draft saved Draft deleted