1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax 'em if you got 'em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just wait until the next van from Carolina cruises through your neighborhood.

Sin taxes bite.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Never smoked, hopefully never will, nut in NJ it's less than $6.00, about $5.50. I'd be pretty annoyed if I were a smoker, but they do almost as much (slight hyperbole) taxing on our gas and then blame the prices on the oil companies, so I'll leave my outrage there for now.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So, what do you use now?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's a minimum of $5.50-5.60 plus 7% sales tax. That puts it right around $6 a pack.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You can get Marlboros for less than 4 bucks a pack in Virginia. Virginia is for diseased lung lovers.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

i'm wondering if smokes will be cheaper here in North Carolina than they are in Texas.

7. Magnum

Magnum Member

NY's going to have a huge influx of smuggled cigarettes coming their way now that their cigarettes cost so much more than those in the South.

Hell, it might be a good way to supplement my income. All I need is a U-Haul and about $3,500 to buy 1,000 cartons in the South. I can then drive them to NY where I can sell them to distributors for a total of $6,000 who will also take in a profit.

After gas and cost to rent the truck, I made about a $2,000 profit. Not bad for a weekend's work.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think NC's sin taxes are damn low.

9. Even better, buy them on an Indian reservation in NY or CT. No taxes, plus you don't have to drive as far.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Turns out toothpaste works pretty well. Who have thought so?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, yeah. It's probably a good thing he didn't combine that with the roofing experience.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If I don't smoke should I care about this?

Draft saved Draft deleted