1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target employee whines about working on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Nov 15, 2011.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Many places do that. We mostly deal with shift bids (when we determine what our work schedules will be). That's done by merit. If you work for the company for 20 years and you're mediocre, you will have to wait until someone who's only been there for nine months who is awesome has already selected a schedule.

When I started here, we only got three holidays off (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's). We will get a few more holidays off before long because of call volume on those holidays when we are open.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You know who I wish would work Thanksgiving night and overtime for Target?

Their fucking ad team...I can not believe they've brought the psycho, creepy, skinny, pearl-wearing, middle-age blonde back for another year.

Get a new ad campaign or I'm shopping at K-Mart!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would like to be a fly on the wall of the office when the mediocre employee is told exactly how mediocre he is and how many other people he has to wait behind before he can pick his vacation. Very curious exactly how this information is explained, since so much of what we do is subjective (one person's awesome headline is another's reason to groan; another may do beautiful pages but constantly miss deadline, while another may do mediocre pages but always hit deadline, etc.).

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Typical story: I was the boss of a long-time union clerk who had both Thanksgiving and Chrismas weeks locked up, for years. I wasn't going to be a pig, but I wasn't going to be a stooge, either. He got Thanksgiving.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're still taking calls at a call center after 20 years, you're obviously mediocre.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm not exactly sure how it works at my new place as I've only been here three weeks, but at my last spot for deskers I generally drew short straw on most holidays because of seniority. I didn't mind too much as long as I got Christmas off, although I did work one of those and hated every minute of it. We usually had the choice to work either Christmas or New Year's and that came down to first come first serve mixed with seniority. For me though, being single it had little to do with family (although I would always end up driving back to my folks place four hours away) and had everything to do with my religion. Easter was the other holiday I really despised working. The line that so-and-so has family so they should get the holiday is horse crap, there are other factors that play into it.

Thanksgiving was usually no big deal to work, the stat pay was always nice and usually needed. Besides I would usually make it back home at some point (usually the couple of days right after TG because my weekends were generally Monay and Tuesdays) and my mom would usually wait till then to cook a turkey and a couple chiffon pumpkin pies.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I never gave a shit about NYE or New Year's Day. I can have 10 Thanksgivings, in terms of sheer gluttony, during the holiday season. Give me Christmas Eve off and I'll work all the rest.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We go by a scorecard that includes quality scores (how you're graded on six to seven calls a month), sales/referral figures and compliance (how well you adhere to your schedule). The numbers are in black and white. Where I work, if you're good, everybody knows you're good.

Draft saved Draft deleted