1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Target employee whines about working on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I have a set schedule with regular days off at my job. If they call me and ask to work, it is entirely voluntary.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There won't be any more unions if the Repugnicans and Tea Baggers get their way.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

In Canada this has already happened, except up here it's for boxing day -- the day after Christmas. We don't do Black Friday up here. But about 10-12 years ago, Boxing Day morphed from Dec. 26 to Boxing week. I think actual Christmas Day is still off limits, but not much else is.

Like anyone in this business I have worked every holiday under the sun, I also just finished a job where I worked every weekend 4-midnight with the only exception being when I went I used vacation time, if you want to talk about your job intruding on your life. Does working holidays suck? absolutely. Do I have a whole lot of sympathy for this guy? not in the slightest. Complaining about your hours is completely natural, I don't know anyone who doesn't. I think what rubs people wrong here is the extent that buddy is taking his complaining. It's not like he is the only one working then either. If he really wants to change the system, start the petition/campaign in January, once the holiday season is over, and push it forward from there for the next year. Nobody wants to hear it two weeks before Thanksgiving and it's not going to change anything at this point as stores are already fully committed to the hours through advertising, scheduling and business plans. Or find a different line of work.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I wonder what the response would be if he worked at a Target out here. About 30 Target stores are going to be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

One of the advice columns (Dear Abby or one of her clones) just ran a letter from a woman who works at a restaurant. Boss said that everyone must work three of the four holidays (T-day, Xmas Eve, Xmas, New Year's). This woman wrote in to say it's terribly unfair to ask her to work both the "family days" of T-day and Xmas since she has three kids.

Columnist answered that she should find a way to only work two of the holidays, because that in itself is generous enough, and perhaps asking for a coworker with no children to cover her for the other two.

Made my blood boil.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My wife has caught shit at her job for the past four years because they require you to work two of the three "major holidays" (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's).

Since I camp out at Best Buy on Black Friday usually, it's been a pain in the butt for her to have Thanksgiving off and have to work Christmas because we haven't gotten to spend much time together on Turkey Day without having her with me at BB. So, last year, I needed an affordable laptop and we made the decision that we'd spend Christmas together.

She hadn't had a Christmas off in four years and was willing to work Thanksgiving so it seemed fair right?

Wrong.

Every one of her coworkers who had children called it unfair and said because she doesn't have kids she should have to work Christmas because that's a day for families, not just for people who feel like having the day off.

I almost went down and cussed out her bosses I was so upset.

People who think they are entitled to Christmas off just because they produced offspring can kiss my dick.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't mind (in fact I often volunteer) working the holidays, because at least sometimes it means some extra cash which can come in damn handy, but don't you dare even breathe that it's somehow my "duty" to do it.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess who isn't scheduled to work on Thanksgiving?

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2011/11/target_worker_who_started_onli.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I refer you to my earlier post.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

His point is still valid, but we're just supposed to shut up and buy poorly made consumer goods made by Asians who will probably kill themselves in a few months.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, it's the holiday season!

Draft saved Draft deleted