1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tank Johnson columns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by suburbanite, Jan 31, 2007.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Sick of reading about Tank Johnson and Rex Grossman's failings and Peyton Manning finally reaching the big game. Tank was all over the news yesterday, and every friggin columnist in the country had to write about him for today. Him or how Marvelous Marvin Harrison won't talk. Give me something I don't know about one of these teams already. Be a reporter. Please.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You mean the obligatory mea culpa, after which the celebrity reinvents himself and all is forgiven? I guess Tank decided to hold out for the Oprah appearance instead of turning the locker stall into a confessional booth. His bad.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Easier said than done, man. That thing is so stage managed that I'm sure everyone is just happy to escape each day with enough tape to file their five deadline stories.

And like someone said, the Super Bowl is the one time the entire country pays attention to football. You may be tired of Peyton Manning and Tank Johnson. But it's all new to the casual fans who tune in this week.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The resident douche was right, for a change.

5. "A well-regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free people, the right of Tank Johnson to arm himself better than a small emerging Asian nation shall not be abridged."
    He doesn't owe me, or anyone else in this gunhappy culture, an apology.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Michael Moore will go interview Tank for his next movie.

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Fortunately for some of us we read ALL angles. Surely you don't think black people buy into that garbage written by folks that cannot relate.

http://nationofislamsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Tank Johnson: A Model of Grace Under Fire

Super Bowl week is a week rife with hype and hyperbole. When the story ON the field isn't all that interesting, like this year (Peyton Manning? YAWN...da Bears Defense? Wake me up when the game is over), leave it to the mainstream media to find a player or "story" to pump up. And 9 times out of 10 it is some misrepresentation of the behavior of a Negro athlete (see: Lewis, Ray or Robinson, Eugene, et al..).

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That site HAS to be a joke, if it called Johnson a role model.

Likwise, what got misrepresented about Ray Lewis, who helped cover up a murder, or Eugene Robinson, who was arrested for soliciting a cop the night before the game?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

typical media, just trying to keep all these fine young brutha down.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Agreed. It's the Super Bowl everyone known all of the major players and storylines for a while now. It's not necessarily about avoiding them, the key is writing something that isn't just the same old, same old.

11. Hey, if the Nation wants to have a sports blog, I say god bless America.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rick Reilly wrote a similar column during the week prior to Super Bowl XXXIV. He accosted and ripped Isaac Bruce because he didn't show Reilly the right amount of compassion for the Columbine victim who told her killer she believed in God.

Draft saved Draft deleted