1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Jun 6, 2011.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Informed sources tell me a new round of layoffs has begun this morning, including at least two three people from the newsroom so far (none from Sports ... yet). With the passing of Tom McEwen yesterday, the good old days definitely are over.

More news as it develops.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a rumor that one of the big names was in trouble.

I always get a sick feeling whenever I see one of these threads.

3. reformedhack

Not sure who'd be vulnerable in Sports -- OK, I guess everyone is, but I haven't heard any names specifically -- but the three names that I've heard so far (two from Features, one from News) are obvious salary dumps.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The name I heard would be an obvious salary dump.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wonder if this is MG-wide or just Tampa?

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Danville, which not too long ago was at four sports reporters, is now down to one. Guy left the other day and Richmond has informed the paper that the position won't be filled.

Makes me wary about Lynchburg and the rumored change on the Virginia Tech beat.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The rumored change is not an MG thing - not really in position to say much more than that.

Don't see how they could cut my old paper anymore. Though I don't see how they could cut Tampa anymore either.

8. reformedhack

Moddy, I can confirm that this was a local move. But it would not surprise me if it starts a series of chainwide "local" moves.

9. reformedhack

Newsroom toll is now at four ... another Features staffer.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not again.

Best to all in Tampa. And, as a former MGer, best to everyone in the company if this round extends beyond Tampa.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just brutal what they're doing to Danville. The job simply can't be done with one person. There's too much to cover.

12. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Hey Moddy, I didn't think they cut more at my old paper (including me), but last week they laid off John Schumacher, who covered Sac State, Triple-A River Cats and events like the marathon and Tour of California. So that mean's the Bee has given up on colleges and baseball. Not bad for a paper of 210,000 circ.

Draft saved Draft deleted