1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa travel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bern's is worth it.

I would go to the Dali Museum in St. Pete. I have been to the older building, and it's pretty incredible stuff.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. One of best steaks ever. Topped off by the desert room. I like those phones in desert room where you can call pianist and make requests. Never have gotten him to play Free Bird or Hells Bells.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you have a few hours in Daytona, you might want to drive on the beach, if they still let you do that.

It was one of the few places left in the world where you could just take your Pinto and cruise along the beach for miles, running over people's coolers while ogling girls in bikinis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but I figured you had to have a truck or something. If that's not the case, I'm definitely going to do that.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. The beach is really packed down. In the "driving" area.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

if you're not in too much of a hurry on the way down, get off I-95 and take A1A for a stretch from St Augustine to Daytona.
    Also be sure to get your complimentary orange juice at the Florida Welcome Center

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Will do. Is that pretty steady traffic or does it go through towns and such with a million stoplights? I won't be in a hurry, but I won't have an entire day to waste, either.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Columbia Restaurant: fantastic Cuban/Spanish cuisine.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Do this. And stop at Snack Jack's, just at the south end of Flagler Beach, for lunch.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This, plus Berns and the new Dali Museum in St. Pete is awesome.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I lived in St. Pete Beach for several years, and like a good provincial Pinellas County resident -- I thought Tampa sucked, outside the airport.

Downtown St. Pete has really come around. Or drive farther to St. Pete Beach, specifically Pass-a-Grille.

And yeah...get a Publix sub. Chicken tenders.

As part of my anti-Tampa bias, I never did make it to Berns. The Salt Rock Grill in Indian Rocks Beach was my steak joint.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What he said.

Tampa sucks -- except for Mons Venus.

I'm a little down on Berns too since reading this article: http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/restaurants/most-of-berns-steak-house-produce-is-not-organic-or-locally-grown-on-its/1230996

Clearwater has amazing beaches. If you want to check out another great beach -- a top 10 in the country beach -- check out Fort DeSoto Park: www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

Downtown St. Pete is funkier, and more walkable than Tampa.

Stay away from the Scientologists in Clearwater -- they're the ones who just got off the bus, and are walking around like zombies in their khakis and blue shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted