1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 27, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone?
    I'm told there are/may be/will be another two dozen or so out of that news room?
    This can't be possible can it? Is anyone left?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Is there ever anyone left? Somehow it happens. I'm not surprised by any of these "AGAIN?!" threads anymore.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I gotta wonder, at this point, why they even bother.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/politicalwhore/2009/05/27/parker-st-massacre-part-6-25-journos-cut-at-tampa-tribune-tbo-news-channel-8/

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing that bothers me about all these little cuts is the lack of long-term planning by upper management.

It's like they don't have a clue about any future projections, so they figure, they might as well just keep cutting jobs.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And yet, our old friend Janet Coats is still there, overseeing the wreckage ...

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ms. Coats: "Conditions have not changed in advertising."

As usual, editorial bears the brunt of the whacks because the ad department couldn't sell lap dances on a troop ship.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Seriously, there can't possibly be enough people left there to make this a viable product.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You go girl!

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just love the exclamation points in the second graph. We're dumping 73 folks but let's get excited!!

Dear Colleagues,

Despite strong sales successes with our Yahoo Blitz and our Ad Profit program, other revenues have not rebounded as we had planned. For this reason we are reducing our staff levels throughout FCG by 85 positions, 73 positions through layoffs.

We may not be able to control the economy but we can stay focused on creating strong products that grow audience and revenue each day!

Your sacrifices, determination and commitment are very much appreciated during this unprecedented time.

John R. Schueler

President

Florida Communications Group

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I prefer my exclamation points.

Die, assholes, die!

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I said months ago, this paper will not be printing by Christmas.

I would love to be wrong though.

Draft saved Draft deleted