1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking on the phone is highly overrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with calls any more, especially to someone's cell phone: You don't know what they're doing. They could be at work and can't talk. They could be out on a date. They could be at a movie. They could be getting a blumpkin at that moment. Who knows? Calling someone on their land line at home, oddly, seemed a lot less intrusive. Because there was an acceptable time to get in touch with someone (8-10 p.m., after dinner, before bedtime). Now, who the hell knows? If I really need to talk to someone, I almost always text first: "Hey, you got a few minutes to talk?" That way, if the person says, "um, bad time. Call me in two hours," I can call them in two hours.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would so love to call someone mid-blumpkin

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sure. At a movie. At a restaurant. At a concert. At a funeral. At a wedding or in church.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I usually have my mobile phone on vibrate (yeah, yeah ... quote function ... whatever). That way, if someone calls, I can check it if need be. But, if nothing else, others in the room don't need to hear something crazy blaring out of my phone. (Odds are they wouldn't know what it was, anyway ... )

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Put it on vibrate. [insert joke here]

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Put it on vibrate to get turned on [insert serious statement here]

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's OK, though, to condescendingly dismiss anyone who thinks it's a bad idea to ignore the phone b/c of worst-case scenarios, right?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Depends on how they phrase it. If they think it's a bad idea for them because of that, then that's their choice and that's fine. If they argue that nobody should turn their phone off for that reason, then they get the condescending dismissal.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh OK I get it. Because you'd never tell anyone how to live his life or argue that your way is the only way, right?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nooooooo. He'd never do that.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you're afraid to answer your phone, you're pathetic and paranoid.
    If you're afraid to not answer your phone, you're pathetic and paranoid.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law keeps her cell phone off constantly. Not just the ringer off. But the whole damn phone. She thinks it runs the battery to keep it on. My wife constantly harasses her about it, to no avail. She'll say she'll keep it on, and then the next time we need to get ahold of her, straight to voice mail.

When I said I keep it on post-children, I'm not just talking for worst-case scenarios. There are a million reasons you need it on that aren't doomsday scenarios.

And, yes, I know that people somehow raised children before cell phones and somehow survived.

Draft saved Draft deleted