1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talking about "talk about"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There seems to be a need to set up and defend extreme positions on this topic. No gray area. No room for exceptions. My way or the highway. Life is not always that way, and neither is "talk about."

JD
    Apparent bullshitter

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Talk about that gray area, JD.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Some people are uncomfortable with direct questions. Yet we still ask them.

4. jr/shotglass

To address something earlier: I find it somewhat laughable that we'd change our questioning tactics because people are watching on TV.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'd go just the opposite way with this, fewer people brutalize simple, concise English more than academics.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If the idea is to get a guy to talk about something, why is it such a sin to ask him to talk about something? Seriously.

It's lazy? So is using a micro-recorder instead of a note pad. So is using a laptop instead of a typewriter and telecopier.

If it gets the job done better and more quickly, why waste energy whining about it?

"Talk about" works a hell of a lot better than twisting things up to make sure it's in the form of a question that gets a shitty answer. You're supposed to be doing this job for the readers, not to prove what a great fucking question-asker you are.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And if you get a one-word answer of "Yes," do you think you've done your job better than the guy who comes along three minutes later and says "Talk about ... " and gives his readers a fantastic quote from the same guy you got nearly nothing from?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

shotglass, I would talk about it, but you were rude to me, telling me to talk about it. If you had asked a question, a good question, I'd have been happy to answer. Sorry, dude.

9. spud

spud Member

Honestly, I dislike your example more than the original. I've asked both many times, and the either-or question almost inevitably produces blather. I take no issue with talk about questions.

10. jr/shotglass

And to think I'd been warned just hours previously.

Draft saved Draft deleted