1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk about your unfortunate typos ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A little word play, man. PUBIC, not public.

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Caught this in a college baseball roundup once:

"Fisher led Southwest Who Cares State with two shits."

Glad that didn't make it to print.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Saw this in an ad for a nightclub not too long ago, referring to the dress code: "Collared shits required."

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I used to do that one too for some weird reason

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I still think this one at my community college rag was classic:

"Below is the biological information about the candidates..."

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm just glad I never had to write about the Mighty Dicks Mighty Fucks Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Had a colleague accidentally misspell a girl's last name of Hunt with a C.

A friend once worked in HS radio (a bastion for gaffes). He said one of his fellow student newsreaders came across a story about Iran and discussed those "Sh*tty Muslims" (advisor, off-air, pulls the kid aside, and says, "Just for your information, it's Shee-eyet."

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Scrappy became crappy when a typist (yes before email) forgot the s in a quote.

Coach was a great guy about it, because it was a "scrappy" team he was playing that week.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

In the shadows of military base Fort Rucker, our news desker had a rather unfortunate typo.

Best part was the the mistake ran on a Saturday, but the apology/correction on a Sunday, so many people sat around saying, "Why did they apologize for misspelling Fort Rucker? What did they type? Did they type...Oh!"

Seeing the lightbulb click on one friend was pretty funny. We're all still employed.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

A year or two ago, an area high school put a notice in our sports briefs looking for clock operator for basketball games, only I left out the "l" in clock. Of course, spell check didn't pick it up and I read right over it -- as did EVERYONE else at the paper.
    We're a twice-a-week paper and the typo ran for a few issues until someone finally noticed.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a second job right up my alley. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted