1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking the fun out of fun......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 3, 2007.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

While in no way you ever would entertain this photo, that is kind of sweet.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It was. The editor who talked to her was pretty kind about it, and she understood. But she did throw in the "he'll be really disappointed" card.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah. He got a new bike from his grandpa and HE'LL be disappointed that his picture wasn't in the paper. God, woman, think you could try being a teensy bit less transparent next time you want a hit of reflected glory?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

For some reason, every time I see this thread title I think of this line from Boondock Saints: "The 90's are killing me. I shouldn't have done that. You're not supposed to tell a guy you're gonna kill him no more. I got to tiptoe through the tulips with these assholes. Taking all the fun out of the job."

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck him. he has a long lifetime of disappointments to look forward to if his mommy is that big of a freak.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

F**k the spelling bee - ESPN should be televising the national junior Kill The Carrier championships...

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

These kids today don't know the fundamentals. They're selfish and egotistical and don't hustle. Not like it was in MY day. They don't know how to Goof Off The Right Way.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The best solution to this overscheduling is simply to not do it. That's it. Involved in "organized" activities more than four days a week? Cut 'em out.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course, sooner than later, a group of parents would get together and decide their children aren't being pushed enough so they'd hold try-outs for the goofing off travel team and try-outs for the goofing off tournament team and then charge $1500 for kids who make the goofing off AAU team.....

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I also think a good promotion for malls would be "Security Guards' Night Off."

12. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

My theory:

Modern suburbs are all but impossible to navigate on foot or on bike. Kids have to be driven everywhere. This limits spontaneous play/rough-housing/pick-up games to the kids in your cul-de-sac or subdivision.

Older suburbs and cities were denser and easier to navigate, and less likely to be sliced through by eight-lane highways or shopping centers. My friends and I could literally ride our bikes from one end of town to the other (and without our parents worrying). I would imagine there are fewer places where that can happen today.

Draft saved Draft deleted