1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking -- or even worse, offering -- a pay cut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Self-flagellation always has been prominent in this business, but this is ridiculous:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=77&aid=157169

From Poynter's Ask the Recruiter / Joe Grimm:

Should I Offer to Take a Pay Cut?
    Q: ... In these uncertain times, should I offer to decline a raise or even take a pay cut in hopes that it might help save someone else's job? It may even help me become less of a target should the ax fall.

A: ... I felt much as you did when I was the recruiter at the Detroit Free Press. Twice, in tough years, I offered to have my pay frozen to do my bit to help out. Both times, the offer was politely declined by editors who said that this was not a prudent way to run a business.

Do my bit to help out? Is that the same bit that includes the managing editor's bonus for underspending the news-coverage budget, by not investing in investigative or enterprise projects? The same bit that pays for the publisher's season tickets to local teams' games?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone else can volunteer for a pay cut. Just don't come looking for me to do the same.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Just offering to take a pay cut won't put you on the "No Cut List." Being a valuable employee and not in the bosses' doghouse will do that. They'll lay you off if they deem you expendable, whether you took one for the team or not.

4. Amen, Brother.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Taking one for the team is asinine. It won't help you or the team.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100 percent correct. Not to sound paranoid, but there are plenty of people in business looking to screw you. No need to screw yourself.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Don't do it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No way I would take a pay cut, or decline a raise. A 4 percent raise on my salary won't do anything to save a position.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

screw them.

10. IF it would save someone's job, I would consider a pay cut.
    I would not offer it out of nowhere.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

How are you gonna know that, though? Unless they come to you and say, "You take a pay cut or we lay off Brenda on the copy desk." If all they say is "Take a pay cut and maybe we can avoid layoffs," sorry, but there's not a newspaper executive in the world whom I would trust enough to believe that.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

amen, slave

Draft saved Draft deleted