1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a vacation from the board: Why?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, May 23, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I noticed that someone with more than 10,000 posts posted for the first time in two years on one of the threads here.

I'm someone who has kind of slipped in and out through the years - particularly after kids came along and time became more precious.

Sometimes, it's obvious why somebody leaves. Some people announce it with a going-away thread. Or their last few posts are a throw-down with somebody. But sometimes, you look and the posts are just normal posts, then one day, that person is never to be heard from again.

Why does that happen? Do most of the people like that just change handles? If you've taken a lengthy board break, other than to go to the other Sports Journalists message board and hang out there instead, why did you do it? I'm just curious, I guess. Like I said, mine was less free time.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: Board breaks: Why?

I thought this was going to be about the site going down so the new owners could install something transmissiony.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Freelance Hack had come out of a two-year coma after his heart attack from eating too many ginormous Hardees sandwiches. As for others? I think name changes, for the most part

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Apparently your post caused a bright green "HEARTBURN?" ad to pop up on the left side as I read this. Awesome.

Actually, if I ever do change handles, HEARTBURN might be a good choice. But only because someone already took Diabetus (speaking of where are they now ...)

5. Nobody cares.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most of us have taken breaks. Hell, our leading poster has gone MIA for months at a time. I've gone a month without posting. Few, if any, noticed, which is the way it should be.

If you don't want to post here, don't. I just don't understand the need for so many to explain their absences like anyone cares.

That's not a shot at any one person.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The board has changed. More and more posters aren't and were worked in newspapers, and there are a few regulars who are still looking for their first job. It's getting harder for those in the industry who just want to interact with others in the same boat.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Times change. Since my career has moved from daily writing/newspapering into a new media gig, I don't always have as much to say about journalism-as-I-once-knew-it anymore.

The "nobody cares" comment works too, really.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not true.

Some of us actively root for certain members to take a break.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not that I have anyone in mind.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd eaten a really gynormous burrito, and it took me 21 months to get off the loo.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm on another board where I started posting in 1995, literally days after it started. I had 40,000 posts or something like that. Stayed totally anonymous -- nobody knew my username, not even my brother, who posts there too.

In December they switched to another hosting service. I registered on the new board, etc etc. made a few posts, all that stuff, then ** I ** had a big computer meltdown where I lost all my stored information, bookmarks, stored passwords, usernames, account info, etc etc.

Took me a couple months before I could recover everything, and I realized, "hey, I haven't been on the Crazy Old Sportsboard for a couple of months."

My whole internet routine had changed so I just don't go there anymore.

No, I didn't have any big bust-up with anybody, no vendettas, no screaming feuds, no threats to kick anybody's ass, etc etc. And I did NOT make any big drama-queen farewell announcement. Just one day I was posting, and the next day I was gone.

Finally I got my login name back, so I COULD go back if I wanted. I went back over there to lurk a week or so ago, and was somewhat surprised to see there were a couple threads wondering where I had gone. Even a couple people wondering if I was dead.

When I skim the threads list over there. there really isn't much I want to say anything about. I suppose if there is, I'll go back.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Content is king.

Draft saved Draft deleted