1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking a stand... well, sort of

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Having already endured two quarters of F days from out corporate "friends" of our parent company — not to mention being told with a week's notice that we must take another F day before Christmas (our Christmas Bone Us) — Dec. 21 is the deadline to submit the dates for our F days in the first quarter of 2010.

Along the top of the form we are required to fill out is the following sentence: "Request for days off"

Well, reading that sentence just makes me want to grab some of our corporate fat cats (you know them, the kind of people who fly into the airport in the corporate jet then rent a Camaro to make the 90-minute trek to our shop because nothing less expensive was available, of course) and put their heads in some paintshakers, turn it on the high setting and leave for a week or two.

So here's my question, colleagues: Since I will be crossing out the "Request for days off" header before I fill out and sign the form, what sentence should I put in its place? ???

Release the hounds (please).

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

My vote is for "Request for For Non-Consensual Anal Sex."

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My advice on tact should be taken with a grain of salt, if not ignored altogether, but it can always come back to bite you by fucking around with stuff like this. Unless you're leaving the business and know for sure you're not coming back, I'd let it go.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They really rent a Camaro? Do they fly into 1985?

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Nope, it was a choice 2008 model.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Request for days I can dream of being a corporate butt kisser like the people who copied Gannett with this ridiculous furlough plan. That should do it.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If he's serious, I agree. But good Lord, I'm hoping he's joking.

That's just a terrible way to handle things.

If he's joking, I like fishhack's answer. :)

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

'Acquiescence to forced poverty'

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It even had "We Built This City" in the tape deck. (crossthread)

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

How important is this battle?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not to speak on Colton's behalf, but given some of his previous posts, he's been lobbing grenades at CNHI higher-ups for a while now.

Put it this way: He's done worse than this and managed not to get fired. :D

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

If you're worried that the paper trail might backfire somehow on you, and that someone might dock your paid vacation time instead of crediting your forced unpaid vacation time -- which is a very real concern, I might add -- you can always make a notation somewhere on the form. Put an asterisk next to your date(s) and mark at the bottom of the form: "*-taken as unpaid furlough day" (or something like that).

Don't draw needless attention to yourself by crossing through the header on the form. Technically, you *are* requesting a day (or days) off ... just not under the conditions you'd prefer. But you certainly have the right to document the conditions you're given.

Draft saved Draft deleted