1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take Your Kid To The Ball Game Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 3, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

Also, kudos to you for being a parent who is "aware of their surroundings". I've been in this parenting thing for a half-dozen years and I always try to avoid being that parent whose kids are creating and spectacle but the parent is doing nothing about it.

You had a solid plan going in and it worked.

Now...just don't raise the expectations for next time. :)

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A friend of mine invited me to go to opening day a few years ago. Another couple he knew had the adjoining seats and they brought their damn 3-month-old daughter to the game. They wanted her to attend "the first game played in her lifetime." We were in the sun, it was hot, the mom and dad took turns taking the kid up to the concourse to keep her out of the sun. Then they left early. I thought it was absurd.
    I had a plan that I wouldn't take my daughter to a game until she would watch an entire game on TV without changing channels or getting bored and bailing out. I didn't exactly stick to the plan and we went to a game when she was about 7 or 8. She watched most of the game on the DiamondVision, but she had a good time and thought going to the big stadium was awesome. The fact they serve french fries in batting helmets added to her pleasure. She is 17 now and got her first taste of hockey, in person, this season and loves the sport. She said, "It's the greatest sport Canada ever invented."

3. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Took my then 2-year old to a Knicks/Hornets game at Madison Square Garden a couple of years ago when I was in the city. I'd never been to the Garden before and wanted to go.

She made it through the third quarter, which I was astonished by. Probably because of the cotton candy and pizza we were devouring.

But then she flung this little toy firetruck we had gotten for her earlier in the day about three rows in front of us, and we knew it was time to go.

Haven't braved a baseball game yet, but am strongly considering taking her (as well as my 1 1/2 year old) to DC this summer to catch a Nats/Cubs game, even though I swore to them that the first baseball game I would take them to would be at Wrigley.

Good luck. I think if you have nice weather, you can make it a few innings without much incident.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's like most new ballparks, IMO. One thing, though, take time to go through the Reds Hall of Fame. That's what really sets it apart.

5. Freelance Hack

Speaking of taking kids to the game. Today is the day we're taking Jack to his first game. Mrs. Hack and I agreed that we'd wait until he was 5. Since we're in San Diego for my work, it just so happens his first game will be at PETCO. Section 300 right behind home plate. I was hoping to see Jake Peavy or Dan Haren. No such luck. Looks like my highlight (and probably Jack's) will be the post-game fireworks.

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Park at the Park in Petco! It's a huge grassy area behind CF, plenty of room to run around and the Padres even run wiffle ball games for the kids. They even show the game on a big screen in case the kids think the batter is too far away.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't do the high reaches of the upper deck. The then- 2-year-old and me went last year and bought cheap tix at the stadium, ended up in the very last row. Brutal climb with her, once we were up there was no way we were going back down except to leave. Lasted 5 innings, but did see Griffey's 599th HR.

I really enjoy taking the kid to the local minor league park. She can roam around, eat, get quality time with the mascot. And since it's the minors I don't care about the actual game too much more than she does.

8. Freelance Hack

Minors do seem to be more kid-friendly. Louisville Slugger Field has a playpark and merry-go-round for kids. And as has been stated previously, its a fraction of the cost of an MLB game.

That said, when your kid is old enough to remember his/her first game, it really should be a major league game. Those parks are the cathedrals.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

GET A SEAT IN THE SHADE!

The family went down to Cincinnati a few years ago and bought seats in advance. We didn't know it, having never been there before, but they turned out to be in the sun behind home plate.

On gameday, it was 100 degrees with humidity. People were passing out in the aisles.

My daughter and I were doing as well as could be reasonably hoped, but my wife and son were really suffering, to the point where my wife was sweating through her hat.

It was miserable and we left in the fifth inning for their safety as much as any other factor, it was easily the earliest I've ever left a game.

Cincinnati is a bake-oven in the summertime, why Great American Ballpark (which seems to have been built on the cheap compared to similarly aged parks) has so little shade seating is beyond me, but there is some (primarily on the first base side), so I suggest you seek it out.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is hardly any shade in any of the new-generation HOK parks.

They were built on the presumption most games will be at night.

11. Freelance Hack

The HOK parks seem to be as cookie-cutter as the old all-purpose stadiums (Riverfront, 3 Rivers, Veterans, etc). At least from baseline to baseline. Only thing that makes GABP stand out is the all-red seating

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mine was 7/14/89. Yankees-Royals. I have always been loathe to leave before the final out. I was at the game with my cousin Jeff, who had a date, and wanted to meet this girl (she was really spectacular, if memory serves correctly, but still...) early, with a bottle of wine and a blanket. Yankees were losing 7-5 going into the 8th inning and they were not showing any signs of life. Those were some bad Yankees teams and a game like that was a loss, 98 times out of 100. So I let him talk me into beating traffic so he can get with this girl. It was the closest I was getting a beautiful girl, so I guess I was living vicariously through him. We get to the car and end up sitting in traffic anyhow, with the radio on, moving about an inch every 15 minutes in our quest to hit the Deegan. The Yankees score one in the eighth, to make it 7-6 and the Royals do nothing in the top of the ninth. In the bottom of the ninth--we are not even an 1/8 of the mile away from the stadium yet--we are sitting in traffic with the radio on, and I experience frustration beyond belief. Mattingly singles, followed by Mel Hall. With one out and two men on, Jesse Barfield hits a walk-off HR and the Yankees win 9-7. It happens while we sit in traffic, less than a half mile from the stadium. I still won't let Jeff live it down.

Draft saved Draft deleted