1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take your damn doughnuts and git!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

You couldn't be more wrong about anything. Leaving work at 2 a.m., seeing the magical KK sign (it's like the batman signal for sportswriters) and biting into a warm, sticky doughnut with the chocolate icing melting in your mouth. . .man, I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

It's perfection.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The blob speaks truth. Oh ijag, I had such high hopes for our friendship.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Believe the only PA stores are in Erie. They're all over western New York, as one might expect, including one about 25 minutes from me. Mmmm... Timbits...

Think there's one Krispy Kreme store left in Buffalo, down by the Galleria Mall. They didn't have a chance against Tim's.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Much like Kelly's you have to go to the original Regina's for the real experience.

5. agree on that, kp. but side-by-side kelly's and regina's almost, almost make up for it. and there's no hour-long wait for a table.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Terrorist #1: Maybe if the people in your country got off your asses, and stopped eating doughnuts, then assholes like us would no longer exist.

Kumar: FUCK YOU! DOUGHNUTS ARE AWESOME!

Harold: They're delicious.

Terrorist #2: You like doughnuts? Wait 'til you see what they make you eat in here.

Harold: What do they make you eat in here?

Terrorist # 1: Ever hear of a cockmeat sandwich?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The Krispy Kreme craze was trumped by the low-carb craze.
    Let's see, donuts or beer; beer or donuts; donuts or beer; beer or donuts????
    I think I prefer to drink my carbs, thank you.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Seriously, Junkie, what is your problem?

I think Krispy Kreme doughnuts, compared to Tim Horton's are crap and their coffee is pure swill. Their lardcakes sit in your stomach like a medicine ball. How you managed to get that I "hate everything" out of that is beyond me.

And they moved up here, apparently clueless about the grip that Tim's has and it eventually came back to bite them in the ass. Given the rate with which they're closing down stores up here most Canadians would agree with me.

I always get a kick out of American and Canadian companies who just think that because we both speak English (well except for the Francophones) and we live side by side, that we can think of the other country as simply an extension of our respective marketplaces without taking into account any of the cultural differences or, god forbid, the competition.

Lowe's is expanding up here. My bet is they shut it down within five years. Not only are they up against Home Depot Canada (which has successfully branded itself as a true Canadian company and not just a US branch plant) they're also going to have to fight Canadian Tire, Rona & Home Hardware for marketshare.

Canadian Tire tried to expand into the US about twenty years ago and it was a gigantic failure. Their quirky culture doesn't travel well and Americans didn't "get" it.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm probably going to get creamed (pun intended) for this, but in my world, nothing stands up to Dunks. Sorry, I'm a loyalist. Horton's is second (there's one in my town, it's not bad either, it's too bad it's not doing so hot) and KK is a distant, distant third.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Beaker, why do you hate everything? :)

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No Tim Horton's in Texas. Man, I miss some chili bread bowls. I fucking love those things.

Oh, and great pull, jesus muscatel. Just saw Harold and Kumar II...that scene was the funniest of the movie.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Krispy Kreme came into the Houston market a while back and left town with its tail between its legs.

Now Dunkin Donuts is planning to open 120 shops here.

Most locals stick with the home-grown chain, Shipley's.

Draft saved Draft deleted