1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

LIVE STRONG AND DO RIGHT

2. Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

I agree with you, kind of. I avoid greasy food now because of the taste (and slimy feeling) it leaves in my mouth and because I always feel awful after eating it. And I don’t crave it anymore. Mostly I eat lean meats, chicken and turkey, fish, “fake” meat, and fruits and vegetables.

But when I do have “fast food” (I’m a big fan of pizza), I make it myself and use high-quality ingredients. With pizza, I can make a large, three-topping one completely from scratch with organic ingredients for about $8. It isn’t greasy (cooked on a pizza stone). I know what’s in the dough. And it tastes a lot better than something from Papa John’s or Pizza Hut (and is about half the price). Same for burgers. I get a pound of ground turkey from Whole Foods for $5.99. Mix it with some ground flax seed, spices, maybe chopped mushrooms, and divide it into three 1/3-pound burgers. That’s about $2-$3 each, depending on what you top it with. Add some baked sweet potato fries (Target sells some really good organic seasoned fries for about $2.50 a bag—four decent size servings in each). I getting the “fast” food I enjoy for about the same price as I’d pay in a fast-food restaurant, but I’m eating a burger/pizza that’s higher quality and that has none of the grease and oils restaurants use.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can get a decent workout on one of those arc trainers and the benefit is that there is no impact, as there is in running. There is still no workout quite like running, in terms of the calories you burn and the muscles in your legs that it builds.

Of the arc and elliptical trainers--and this is just based on my experience, nothing scientific to back it up--the Precor cross trainer (the ones that work both arms and legs) probably give the next best work out, followed by the Precor Eliptical trainer. I'd put the Cybex arc trainer slightly behind it. It doesn't take as much to get my heart rate up on one of those, and I think it is, in part, because the machine does more of the work for you than the Precor machines do. I think the arc trainer is a much better workout than a stationary bike, though, particularly the ones in which you sit reclined, that have the seatback.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Woohoo. 90 minutes in semi-cool air. What a welcome change from the 100-degree days I've been suffering through.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Shut up Spuds. It's 100 here again today, and tomorrow ... and Friday ... I hear Saturday it's supposed to cool down to 88. Yuck.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I know, I know. It's a 'dry' heat I deal with.

Still, I'd rather go out and peddal for 90 minutes in 75 degree mornings than 90 degree mornings. The high is only supposed to be up to 90ish today.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I feel like such an old man sometimes. I have talked about my stress fracture before. It's all healed, but the leg still hurts if I test it too hard. So before running in the morning, I take a megadose of Naproxen (Aleve) and right before I run, I slather on this stuff called "Mineral Ice." It's a blue gel that comes in a little tub. It's kind of like a mild version of Ben Gay. Doesn't smell as strong. But even the faint wiff of that Ben Gay smell makes me feel like a geezer sometimes. The stuff doesn't totally numb the pain, but it helps a lot. It's sort of an icy/hot feeling. Anyone familiar with it?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Interesting procedure there, Ragu. My right shin (on the big bone) aches a bit after I run daily. I got hit with a baseball square in the bone about 6 weeks ago. I wonder if the pain is a lingering effect of that, or if it's shin splints. But I haven't tried taking Motrin or Aleve or whatnot before the workout. As for the tub o' blue goo, that seems interesting, too. I'll try it.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not since I was a freshman in high school playing basketball. The seniors from the wrestling team decided to play a little prank on us youngsters.

Not a pleasant day of bouncing balls.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Major milestone, and bit of embarrassment:

Today I ran for 60 straight minutes on the sexmill. More of a jog at 6.0 speed, but still enough to get the heart beating heartily and me sweating heavily. With 5 minutes left I bumped it up to 6.5 speed, and with a minute to go bumped it up to 9.0 speed, which is a full run, no messing around. An hour of this equals 6 miles and 1178 calories. It's very gratifying to know I can run 60 straight minutes again. High school soccer was the last time. Five months ago I couldn't run more than 3 minutes at a time.

This takes me to the embarrassment: Walking down the hallway of my building to my room with gym bag in one hand, grocery bag of sliced turkey and Wheat Thins and pomagranate juice in the other. My shorts, which I bought a year ago when I was a fatty, are slipping. My belt is not holding them up anymore. I'm about 25 paces from my door. Can I make it without the shorts falling to my ankles? I can do it. No I can't. Oh please let me make it. Just as those thoughts pass, the shorts fall to my ankles as a very cute girl walks toward me and laughs. "If my boyfriend wasn't down the hall, I'd gladly have helped you pull up your shorts," she said.

She stopped and watched as I put down the bags and pulled up my shorts. "When you break up with your boyfriend, stop by some time and help me pull down my shorts," I said, to which she smilingly responded "maybe I will" before crossing my path and continuing down the hallway to her boyfriend's room.

I love being in shape again.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

75 minutes of peddling today. 20 on the bicycle, 55 on the spinning thing with my lovely wife next to me.

Very good morning.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Inspiring stories, boys.  Me, I got through my workout and didn't throw up on anyone!  :D

Actually, I felt so good afterwards I forgot why I was pissed at JR.  ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted