1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Well, I guess I'm just a mess.

I'm a life-long runner -- I've run a marathon -- but right now am 6-0, 195. I run some every day, so I guess that helps.

Can't eat breakfast. Yeah, 21, I know. But I can't run after eating at all -- a life-long problem -- and I can't eat early enough that I "haven't eaten" by the time I run at 10:30-11 a.m.

I drink beer and Bacardio O, which is pure sugar, at night, then eat something before bed.

I do eat Lean Cuisine many days for lunch. But dinner is fast food pretty much every day. But hey, chili instead of fries with Wendy's.

I'd be fabulous on the Atkins except for one thing -- alcohol.

I combat this all the best I can by running every day. But the knees ain't what they used to be.

Hey, I'm textbook -- don't do what I do. :D

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

After hearing all the talk of 'toning' here, reminds me of something a sports doctor once told me: tone is just another word for failed muscle-building.

Also, careful with the sugar. It metabolizes as fat and also stimulates the digestive system, making you more hungry. And corn syrup is the same thing as sugar.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That might be true if all of us were 25-year-old athletes in training, but I don't care to bulk up or look like a body builder, thanks. I do want to maintain a lean, well toned, body. I'm also careful not to overdo it with the "beach" muscles.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Toned muscle IS built muscle, that's how it gets toned--you damage it by lifting, and repair it with new muscle tissue. Thus the bigger muscle.

You can be rock solid without being cut, and have the same amount of muscle mass; just depends how the rest of your body covers the muscle.

5. leo

leo Guest

i'm not one of those crunchy hippies that does all the grocery shopping in the co-op, but i do grab some stuff from the organic section in my regular supermarket. the chips, especially, are so much better than the non-organic ones. no partially hydrogenated oils, that sort of thing. and i get pretzels when i need a fix from the vending machine, not chips.

and other than alcohol, i pretty much only drink water. no soda, no coffee. occasionally some tea or juice, but rarely. water is great for you. i equate drinking soda, with all that high fructose corn syrup, with guzzling poison.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

leo, great call on water. i was a regular drinker of mountain dew. stopped about nine months ago. i have one, two a month now. but, it's mostly water for me and coffee, which i can't shake just yet. plus some alcohol. and on this list, i might fall into the crunchy, hippie, granola group, but my real crunchy, hippie, granola friends would laugh at that assertion. that said, leave out the hydrogenated oils. my girlfriend is super conscious of what she eats, so while i do shop at the regular grocery store, i do make stops at the hippie store.

7. IdahoHack

IdahoHack Guest

hippie stores, excellent choice if you want to lose weight.

the wife and i went hiking a month ago in the tetons for a little vacation. we were starving when we came back down the mountain and hit the first 'cafe' we saw heading into jackson hole. it happened to be one of those vegan/organic places but we weren't picky.

we were after. the food was disgusting. i've never tasted more revolting chow in my life. i was lucky and ordered a fruit smoothy and they had a hard time making that too yucky, but the salad my wife had was just plain icky.

but the joint was packed. and though many of then looked like they hadn't bathed or washed their hair in a month, they were all skinny.

and about the soda, i admit to being a diet coke, diet dr pepper addict, but the stuff is BAD for you, no matter the amount of sugar in it. one of these days i'll try to ween myself from soda and stick to water, milk (only skim) and juice.

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

idaho, you made me laugh with that story. having hiked some of those rocky mountains and feeling famished on the return hike, i understand how bummed you must have been with that food. the vegans can sure take bad food to another level. i need some of the dairy products.

9. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I just skimmed through this topic. As someone who's done a ton of research on the human body, diet, exercise and supplementation, I think it's great that we're all aware of how important this is. Like some have said, nothing is promised and we may die tomorrow of some genetic disease we never knew we had. But let's not rush along the process of death.

Here's my thoughts:

Diet and exercise are equally as important (and by diet I mean what you put into your body, not what you don't.)

Gimmick diets don't work, change your whole eating lifestyle. I think all of us know what's really bad for us. Don't eat it. (Once a month as a reward is OK.)

Don't starve yourself. Your body needs feul.

Supplements are very hit or miss. I would suggest not supplementing at all until you study exactly what it is going to do to your body. Don't take something just because it is a fat-burner or muscle builder.

Study the body. Some of us study statistics and sports history. Why are we solely interested in what other people do? Learn about the human body. If you don't, you're not maximizing your time in the gym.

Have a goal when you exercise. Aimlessly wandering around the gym is time wasted. You don't have to have a chart for everything you do, but set a goal whether it's losing weight or losing inches off your midsection or pumping up your arms.

Most importantly, enjoy life. Wake up everyday and smile at a cloudless day; laugh in the rain; play in the snow. Find things to do in your own free time. Don't allow yourself to be bored. Realize that with your dying breaths, you will never wish you spent more time working. You will think only about those that were important to you.

I don't begrudge how anyone lives their life. I just hate to see great people die young, and though I haven't been around here very long (see stars at left!) you all seem like pretty decent folks.

10. Mark

Mark Member

Terrific thread. Heart problems run in my family, and we're not obese or alcoholics or smokers or anything...
    I'm pretty new in this business, so maybe those who travel with pro teams get to stay at hotels that all have gyms in them (especially hockey and baseball where you're gone days on end), I'm trying to get up to that point in my career.
    Couple questions--
    1 -- I can't get up early morning (that's why I joined this biz in part) as I work several late nights per week. I'm 24, just starting up an exercise program, and do monitor somewhat what I eat. For those with big beats or traveling a lot, assuming all your hotels have gyms, how do you deal with eating on the road?? Especially arena food??

2 -- Should you eat, and then go work out, or vice versa?? I've heard it both ways.
    3 -- Any suggestions with eating these rather odd hours I work (overlapping dinner, somewhat hungry at 1 am when i get home -- though I don't eat a meal or anything)?? To start with I don't have a set schedule.

thanks,

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mark:

1. If you don't have access to a gym on the road, get outside and walk, fast. Work up to a good run. If it's cold wear a sweatshirt, but just plan it into your day. As for the food--I always try to find a local convenient store, where i can pick up some fruit, bottled water, whatever else they have that isn't processed and full of poison. Arena food is a disaster; in a crisis I'd rather eat the peanut m&ms than a greasy hotdog or nachos. A big pretzel is pure carbs, but at least not much fat.

2. Better to work out before you eat. You'll burn through your sugar storage, and get to the fat. If you have to eat first, eat small amount of lean protein (egg whites, turkey).

3. Try to avoid eating late at night--those calories just turn to fat. If you have to eat (as we all do), don't get a pizza. Eat a banana or handful of nuts (not cashews, tho, all fat).

12. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Mark,
    your schedule sounds much like the one I was on a few years ago. I actually have certification as a trainer (though I don't train anyone right now), and when people have asked me when the best time to train is, I've always told them, "Whenever you enjoy it most."
    Some people are night people and would rather work at night at the end of the day. Others like to do it first thing in the morning to get the blood flowing, others like it in the middle of the day to break up the day. I personally enjoy mixing it up. I'll do three months of mornings, three of afternoons, then three of nights. Just because it gets boring sometimes and you make more friends at the gym that way, and honestly if you make more friends, you're more likely to go back because you enjoy it for more reasons than just working out.

As far as eating on the road, it's very difficult, I know. If you are on the road and forced to go to fast food places like some of us are, try to stick to a chicken sandwich (grilled, not fried). Have two of them (you can eat one with the bun, one without). That will fill you up and you're getting a great deal of protein as well as some carbs (and getting two will stop you from getting fries!). The other thing you can do is buy protein bars and eat them as a snack before you get back to the hotel for room service.

Finally, as a rule, try not to eat at 1 am. At 24 years old, you can get away with it, but it will catch up to you quick. Especially if you work in the office at night, bring dinner with you from home.
    I know working those irregular schedules are tough. Try to build an eating schedule if you can and stick to it as close as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted