1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Today's 75 minutes felt a little more strenuous. I boosted the speed to 4.4 for the final 30 minutes at 15-incline.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's also terrific for stress reduction.

I'm much older than you are, and I'll warn you now that flexibility is a real issue as you age. Stiffness makes it harder and harder to get good exercise as you get older, which is exactly when you need exercise most.

Yoga is a great way to stay limber enough to do the things you want to do, especially if you incline to balky joints.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Probably not much older. But, yeah, I’ve been shocked by how stiff I am pretty much constantly these days. Soreness is one thing, but walking around like The Thing is really annoying. Especially in my back and hips.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

For those who do yoga, how often? Is it helpful if you do it once a week or do you need to do it more frequently?

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Stiffness also leads to injury. I had a fairly minor ski fall that left me with a broken and dislocated shoulder. Doctor told me that with a little more flexibility, I would have popped right up and kept skiing.

That sucked.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Now get your hands off the machine!

QYFW likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm 60.

Much older.

But thanks in part to yoga I played hockey a couple times a week into my mid-50s.

I do yoga +/- 4 times a week, either at the studio up the street or just around the house.

8. Dick Whitman

Skiing scares the piss out of me every single winter. I know one of these years, I'm going to blow up my entire year out there. Law of averages.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That shoulder took a year to heal. I haven't been skiing since.

Local mum I know, big skiing family, this year she slipped and fell while not actually on her skis—in her boots, tramping into the lodge. Patch of ice, down she went. Broke her wrist in a million places (surgery) and dislocated her knee so bad, her knee cap was in the back of her leg (surgery). She's a high-powered lawyer and hasn't worked since. It's now been four months or so, I think. Brutal.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I usually do it three days a week. The workout I do only takes a half-hour or so.

11. Dick Whitman

Went out this morning, planning 13-mike run at marathon pace, and felt great after 2-2.5 miles. Then, the hamstring from last month flared up again. It seems I can’t do two hard workouts in a week.

2 1/2 weeks until marathon day.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another 6 days in the book: 415 minutes, 9,273 calories, 30.21 miles

Last 9 weeks: 3,299 minutes, 78,030 calories, 254.73 miles

Tomorrow I rest.

Dick Whitman and HC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted