1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Take care of yourself (LiveSTRONG)

Absolutely not. Go for it.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Today, my first day back at the gym since Monday because of the Christmas holiday -- and because I've been playing Mr. Mom (Did you hear? I wrote a story about it.) with my little girl.

The workout, "Angie," which is 100 each of pullups, pushups, situps and squats, in that order.

Time = 31:51, which is 9:27 faster than when I did this workout on Aug. 22. The decreased time came from knocking out the pullups 10 minutes faster than the last time; this time, it took 13:20 (although I proved why I could never be a mathematician because I added it all up at the end and found that I did 95 when I though I had done 100. Doh! So I did five more at the end of the workout.).

Well, shit, I just added it up with the calculator, and I DID do 100 pullups. Which means I ripped the shit out of my left hand for no reason. Those extra five, and another extra five for good measure, ripped two big-ass calluses on my left hand.

When I got home, I cut the dead skin off just like I did with the dead skin on my shin earlier this year. Then I took the peroxide and poured it on my hand. Fuck! It was like dropping two red-hot coals on my hand, and it sounded just like bacon frying on the griddle.

Pullups: 18 sets
    Pushups: 11 sets
    Situps: 4 sets
    Squats: 2 sets of 50

Joe

3. joe

joe Active Member

Today, first, back squats, five sets of 5 each: 135, 145, 155, 165, 170. Then a finishing set of 10 at 135. Stayed with the lower weights to keep the form and depth.

50 dips: 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2. I still suck at these, and I didn't keep time.

50 dumbbell swings, 50-pounder: 2:43.

One-arm cable triceps presses (thinking maybe they'll help with the dips): 10 x 25, 10 x 30, 8 x 35, 4 x 40.

Joe

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Soak it up while you can, Joe. I hear from my sisters that workout time is the first to go.

In semi-related workout news, I ran 3.5 miles with my brother-in-law and 12-year-old nephew yesterday. The pace: 7:42 a mile, set by the nephew, a bit more sprightly than I anticipated or wanted. That little shit was trying to go Prefontaine on us.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Nice.

I had grand plans to go running (outside) during this trip, but realized this morning that 30 degrees was not conducive to running for a non-runner. Looks like Muncie, Ind., has a YMCA though, so I'll be there in the AM. :)

6. joe

joe Active Member

Huh?

7. joe

joe Active Member

Today was a tough one. I went a couple hours later than usual, and my eating was terrible before going, and forgetting my contacts helped throw everything off.

Shoulder press, five sets of one rep: 105, 115, miss 120 and 115, 105, 105. My PR is 125.

Push press, five sets of three: 105, 110, 115, 120, miss 125, 120 x 1, 115. One-rep PR is 130.

Push jerk, five sets of five: 75, 85, 95 (4+1), 100 (3+2), 75. One-rep PR is 105.

Knees to elbows, five sets of five.

It was a crappy day at the gym, but at least I went. That's something.

Joe

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Went to the Muncie Y this AM, where there is apparently a signup list for cycling class that fills up nearly 24 hours in advance. So I lifted and did a little cardio to warm up. Not sure I'll make it back tomorrow before I leave town, but hopefully walking around the Brickyard museum and three airports will get me enough exercise.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Been stressing the cardio lately... and happy to report that I went two miles today in 24:01 with only two minutes of walk time in there. First mile between 5.0 and 5.2, straight through, walked for one minute, Next half mile at 5.5, walked for one minute, finished up two miles between 5.2 and 5.5. Farthest I've run with that little amount of walk time.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Today, a mishmash.

First, increasing clean and jerk (1 the first minute, 2 the next, and so on), 115 pounds. Five rounds, plus 2 in the sixth round for 17. A damn sight harder than I thought it would be. Did another three to get an even 20 reps.

Fifty pullups in 6:53, which was a good 35 to 40 seconds slower than it should be because I had to wait while another dude jumped in for a set. Reps of 8, 8, 4, 8, 4, 4, 8, 6 = 50, with 16 overhand and four crosshanded. Tore off another callus. It bled a little.

Fifty back extensions in 1:45. 35, 10, 5.

Knees to elbows (5), dips (5), five rounds in 5:57. That's after doing five rounds of 5 knees to elbows to start the day.

Joe

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Jogged/stumbled for 1 hour, 20 minutes today. It was one degree and sunny. Ice formed on my eyelashes and eyebrows. That never happened when I was in Minnesota or New York. To think I actually got up early to run because the wind was down.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Today, two workouts.

First, deadlifts, five sets of three reps: 185, 215, 235, 245, 255. Whew.

Second, hanging power clean, seven sets of one rep: 105, 115, 125, 135, 140, miss badly (as in, it knocked my ass to the ground and tore the shit out of the webbing between my left thumb and forefinger; hello, blood) at 145, 135, 135. And another at 115 for good measure.

Row 10 minutes and 2,415 meters.

Joe

Draft saved Draft deleted