1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take a bow, environmentalists.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Just listen and maybe you'll get a drift of what that clean biofuel stuff is going to do to our world. Hunger wars or global-warmed prevention? You pick.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=7473590&ch=4226714&src=newscl=7473590&ch=4226714&src=news

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, shit, if some guy says it true and they have the (archived) file footage to prove the prophecy, it must be true.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks, Yawn.
    I didn't know anyone was acknowledging that I was bowing.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The guy just can't do anything without dripping an antagonistic demi-glaze across it, can he?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Boom just got a stiffie and doesn't even know why.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, the ethanol scam is a bipartisan problem. Bush and the Republicans are nearly as bad on this one.

Yes, the left environmental lobby got this thing going, but politicians on both sides have been pigging out at the lobbyist cash trough and passing awful legislation.

And what is the result? Well, it takes more than a gallon of gasoline energy to produce a gallon of ethanol. It has to be shipped by truck because there are no such things as ethanol pipelines. Then throw in all the diesel fuel and gasoline used to farm the lands to keep growing the corn, to keep making the problem worse.

Then, ethanol doesn't burn as efficiently as good old regular gasoline. So we're burning more and polluting more.

Why? Because there are now government mandates on how much HAS to be used. And the numbers are higher in the coming years. So much higher, in fact, that all corn grown in the US will have to go to ethanol production years down the road.

And what did anyone expect would happen to food prices? Right now we're taking 20% of the corn out of the food chain and instead burning it -- and burning it inefficiently.

Corn is around $6 a bushel. Wheat and soy beans are way out of whack, too. And because corn is a major source of cattle feed, beef is about to get way out of whack, too.

The only way to fix this is to put an immediate end to the ethanol debacle. But no politician will admit to that publicly. Many are admitting it privately, but none will admit it publicly. And if they won't admit it publicly, you know damn well they won't vote against ethanol publicly.

We're polluting more, burning and using more petroleum based fuel and about to cause massive starvation all over the world. All so the ethanol folks line their pockets with trillions of dollars.

Thanks a lot, politicians.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder why he who shall remain nameless is gone and he's still allowed to post his drivel.

8. Clever username

Boots? You're talking about Boots, right? I think you mean Boots. Boots is the guy you're thinking of. Yeah, definitely Boots.

Or wait. Is it Dyepack? Or did you mean JDV? No, has to be Boots.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody whose in-laws are farmers, let me just say "Yahoo, for biofuels!"

With rice at $1,000 a ton, we're getting a free cruise this summer paid for by the in-laws.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Now how does that help?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought "he who shall remain nameless" was ... well, you know. Everybody used to say "Hi!" to him.

12. Clever username

Norm from Cheers?

Draft saved Draft deleted