1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tailor: "I can't give you a price over the phone." WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Aug 13, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am trying to shop for a new car right now. I know the exact car. The package (they have limited options) I want on it. Have a list of colors we're willing to accept.

It is a cash deal. We have test driven the car, know we want it. It's that simple.

I haven't gotten very far into this, but we will buy tomorrow if we can. I refuse to step foot into a dealer other than to pay for a car on an already agreed upon deal -- with a contract faxed through to me.

I have my price in mind. It leaves just enough meat on the bone, where SOME dealers will take the deal for an easy sale. Even though it is cash, and they can't make the money on financing which is their profit center.

I called a few this weekend. Was very specific. Knew the exact car. The package I want. First question, do you have the car?

Then, how much the bottom line price on the contract has to add up to (not including tax and title). That includes all their fees -- delivery fee, documentation fee, any regional advertising fees they normally add on. My price takes into account the known invoice for the car, minus the known dealer holdbacks. I am not even putting any dealer cash incentives on the table, because I have no way of knowing exactly what they are.

In any case, I call. And I can not get straight answers. They ALL try to get you into the dealer, because they know they are then in the driver's seat, so to speak. They can make it into an emotional experience. My response, "I have no reason to step foot in any dealer unless we have a deal hammered out. We can do that by phone. I have a credit card ready to give you a deposit, if you fax through a contract for the exact car I want, with the right numbers on it."

They hate that. My hope is that one will eventually realize that for little time investment, they can make a quick sale that is within the margin range acceptable to help keep the lights on in the dealership. As I have said, "They can make up the difference on the financing to the next person who walks in the door."

I'll let you know if it works when I step up the effort next week. But I do know it is in their incentive to waste your time and do everything they can to get you into their dealership where they hope to make it into an emotional experience.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Go to cars.com, edmunds.com, autobytel.com or any one of a dozen other services and get an online quote.

Make the dealers a counter offer if they're quotes are too high.

It's easy.

And wait until the last day of the month. You'll get a much better deal then.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wait a minute, you have eight suits?

I haven't owned eight suits in my life. Not even leisure.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I am in teevee. Counted 133 ties today and 20 suits, accumulated over the past decade. Have probably donated the same amount to Goodwill at that time.

On-air TV people are usually reimbursed for clothing. :) that's our payback for being stopped and complained to about the weather or our perceived liberal bias when I am at the grocery store with my children.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's your take on the theory that you shouldn't wear a white shirt with your suit on TV?

You almost always see folks wearing a blue shirt, but I prefer to wear white over blue about 80% of the time. And, when I do see a white shirt on TV, I don't think it looks bad.

So, why do people avoid white on TV?

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It usually pops a little too brightly on the screen, especially if contrasted with something dark. When I was in PR we had a particularly dark-skinned player, and when he wore white t-shirts for TV interviews it gave the camera guys fits. There's also the one-pattern rule for TV, meaning that among coat, shirt, and tie, only one item should have a pattern. It's not a hard and fast rule because you see 2 patterns all the time and some of them look fine. But quite often, patterns that might look fine in the mirror can clash and look really bad on TV.

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Maybe if you actually did something about the weather for once and quit being a damn commie, they would leave you alone. ;)

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Two car purchases ago (about 12 years) I had all my ducks in a row. Had the car I wanted pegged, knew what a good price was, everything was in order. After a good bit of dickering, got something pretty close to my price. Then I let the relief at the negotiation's being over get to me. While writing up the bill of sale the dealer popped a couple of little add-ons -- some "security etching fee" and some "transaction fee" -- that added up to a couple hundred bucks. All of which came out of my pocket and padded his bottom line. Again, I was tired and relieved to not be negotiating anymore. Sticks in my craw to this day.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I wish I could be you (or at least have you negotiate for me) I am horrible at negotiating. I don't like it, and I am sure the salesmen can tell. I just bought a new car and am certain I did not get the best deal that I could (although it wasn't horrible.) I always feel like they are laughing at me as we drive away. I would pay a broker to do it for me, but in my small town, that is not a service available.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I know that BS. Why I will have that contract FAXED to me before I even step foot in a dealership. They can do it. Don't want to do it. But someone will. I just have to find that dealer.

I know they need to make their profit. I am willing to give them 3 to 5 percent over their cost (starting out closer to 3 percent). It's actually not far from invoice on this car. I don't care what they do to get there on the contract. They can put in an ass-wiping fee if it suits them. But I am starting with, "The final cost, minus tax and title will = $X. That includes everything. Even your documentation fee."

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On teevee fashion..

As televisions have become sharper, the "don't wear white shirts on TV" has gone away. I wear straight white shirts (point or spread collar) 60% of the time, a light blue 20% and a patterned shirt 20%. I may throw in the occasional yellow or light green a few times a year. I will never wear dark shirts nor will I ever wear a "blue shirt/white collar" combo. That shirt just screams "I am a d-bag who thinks he is better than you"

With every shirt, I almost always wear a bright tie. If a pinstripe suit, then a bright solid tie. If a solid jacket, maybe a pattern tie. Since I have blue eyes, I gravitate towards blue shirts and ties.

To pay quiet homage to Mad Men's premier last spring, I did go retro for one newscast. More gel, narrow navy tie, tie clip. straight out of the RFK Ambassador Hotel Collection.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's the only way I will negotiate anymore. Then again, one of the two car purchases I've made since then was at Carmax.

Draft saved Draft deleted