1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taibbi takes CBS' Lara Logan to the woodshed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Taibbi really is the leader of the Russian spy ring that just got busted.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Read what she wrote and please tell me constitutes faulty reasoning. She couldn't have been more on point or specific. Not the stuff of a clever wordsmith, maybe, but a straight point by point criticism that is pretty clear cut.

I am not sure where Taibbi wrote that, but it's an ad hominem attack of Megan McCardle, not a response to what she wrote. It wasn't even a particularly clever ad hominem attack.

What Taibbi can't address is the fact that using examples of bad interest rate swap investments to make a murky point (it still makes no sense) about regulation of collateralized debt obligations and credit default swaps, as he did, is still pretty much the same as suggesting that a cab driver and a Fortune 500 CEO are the same thing because they both have jobs. It's a kindergarten comparison.

Two points about this: 1) What is the point? Anyone can sit around and cherry pick (after the fact, with 20/20 hindsight when it's easy to see winners and losers) completely unrelated entities (a blown muni finance deal. ... insurance instruments on credit default packages that explode) that lost a ton of money and suggest conspiracy theories. People hear huge dollar amounts, vaguely see the effects of those blow ups and their eyebrows raise. And there is Matt Taibi with a simplistic narrative cloaked with fancy sounding acronyms and cartoon villains hatching comic book plots. It still is a weak strained and contrived narrative if you care to look past his clever writing. 2) Why would Taibbi quote what McCardle said and bring up Jefferson County? First, an interest rate swap STILL doesn't make much of a point about CDOs and CDSs, unless the point is that every single thing in the entire world needs to be regulated to protect people from themselves. Secondly, I am not up on the details, but what happened in Jefferson County was fraud, correct? No one from J.P. Morgan is sitting in prison, just some former elected officials, correct? Wasn't Taibbi's whole point in the first place that our elected officials need to save us from Goldman Sachs (or J.P. Morgan, in the case of Jefferson County) through regulation? If so, why would Taibbi now bring up Jefferson County as a reason why we need more government intervention to stop the screw jobs? The local corrupt government perpetuated the screw job in Jefferson County!

That's what happens, when you shoehorn unrelated things into neat little narratives and try to create cookie cutter villains. The world really isn't that way. There are villains everywhere. And they are not equally villainous all of the time.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jeez. Even KUDLOW (freakin' Reagan cabana boy, KUDLOW) raked Goldman
    Sachs over the coals in the wake of the revelations.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. But did he write an article claiming that Goldman Sachs was responsible for the sinking of the Titanic (using six degrees of Kevin Bacon as the proof) and that since the Titanic sunk, we need to regulate kids scooters because they are both forms of transportation?

Facts, details and scope matter in journalism.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, in comparison with the legions of hacks either in bed with GS (including >50% of the national government)
    or afraid of them, Matt's Deadeye Dick.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Regarding Taibbi's post on McArdle, it was from his now-shuttered True/Slant blog, and I think it came a bit after that story and another one he wrote. When I cut and pasted it, I left out that he bolded this line of hers:

No one, as far as I know, is now proposing that we need to curtail the use of interest rate swaps.

I think that was one of his main points, seeing as that's obviously been proposed since in the regulatory bill and wherever.

I would never go to Taibbi to fully understand how Wall Street works, and he stresses that he's just learning too. He writes that all the time. I just wouldn't throw out his stories as total BS. One commentator on McArdle's blog referred to his work as worthy polemics, and I think that's pretty apt. Plus, his stuff has gotten better. As he wrote somewhere, after that story appeared a lot of Wall Street/financial insiders started getting in touch with him to fill him in on details.

Draft saved Draft deleted