1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taibbi grills Lieberman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Matt Taibbi takes Joe Lieberman to task, tears him apart, in the latest Rolling Stone. Someone is standing up for the little guys like Ned Lamont, who apparently is being roasted at the behest of Lieberman and the big-machine media.

Also, a great piece on the plans for Iran in National Affairs.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I don't consider millionaire businessmen "little guys," regardless of the political philosophies.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Taibbi's on a roll. (Get it? Roll-ing Stone?) I liked his last piece on Iraq. He captured the fuckedupness well.

4. Songbird

True, but he's not a politcal lifer who might not know the total game and how easily a reputation can get shit on and tarnished.

5. Bamford's piece is excellent.
    Taibbi's piece could have been written from Mars for all the reporting that's in there.
    He's not HST. Not even close. he should stop pretending -- and I say this as someone who agreed with every point he made.

6. Songbird

some of the assertions were pretty strong (taibbi), but was he lobbing them out there via opinion, or are there facts to back it up? in that sense, you're right about the reporting.

edit: anyway, it was more of the spirit of the piece that i enjoyed, because the political lifers get away with trashing people. it's nice to have it thrown back in their faces. ..... and i agree FB that taibbi shouldn't keep trying to be HST if that's his mission. but there's nothing wrong with using HST as a model for ideas and writing style.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Finally got around to reading this (for some reason RS doesn't land in my mailbox until it's been on the newsstand for some days). Didn't know much about Lieberman and Lamont heading in (neither one has any kind of profile up here) but Taibbi sure rips Joe a new one.

The Bamford story was great, right up there with the one he did a while back on the guy who sold the Iraq war.

As a longtime RS reader I'd always rather see a band on the front than the actor/actress of the week, but the Zeppelin cover story was the one that had my scratching my head, considering the contentious relationship RS always had with the band (one of the first issues of RS I ever read had a scathing Charles M. Young review of In Through The Out Door).

Zeppelin hasn't released a new studio album in almost 30 years and there was little in the story this long-time fan didn't already know. I was hoping for something along the lines of the long James Brown story they did a few issues ago or the one from earlier this year on Bo Diddley but there didn't seem to be any new interviews with Page, Plant, Jones or any of the other principals.

Draft saved Draft deleted