1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T-Wolves president insinuates draft lottery is rigged

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 18, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Has anyone seen Stern's long-form birth certificate? Do we even know if he is eligible to be commissioner of the NBA? I think there are a lot of people working together to keep this from becomming an issue. I think Simmons should write a book: "Hey David, Where is the Birth Certificate?"

I am with the group that thinks the '85 Draft was fixed, but none of the other ones. I think they did it, got away with it and thought, "Holy fuck were we lucky we didn't get caught. Let's not do that again."

Seriously, how does the league benefit from Duncan landing in San Antonio instead of Boston? Or LeBron in a market like Cleveland instead of New York? Or Shaq in Orlando? Because the Cavaliers got lucky with the draw yesterday means nothing. It isn't like they are two players away from contending.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People on here might have been arguing it, but nobody in the NBA was.

You're never sure. But in the cases we're talking about -- Patrick Ewing, LeBron James, giving Shaq a sidekick -- the implications were fairly clear and foreseeable.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

are you sure about that?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's funny looking back at old draft threads. Oz actually has Beasley being better than Durant. I only read the first page, that was enough.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57853/

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"Beasley will be the better player." -- Mizzou, on Beasley vs. Rose

:)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, I had Durant over Oden too... Win some, lose some... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Y'all are looney.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree with this.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No matter what you think of David Stern, I don't think anyone would argue that the guy is smart.

IF the NBA lottery has been rigged in the past, it's only happened a few times. It's only been worth it to do a few times.

I think it was done for Ewing, Webber, James, Rose and maybe one other time. The other years there's no reason to do it. Why rig a lottery when Michael Olowokandi or Pervis Ellison or Kwame Brown is the prize?

10. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Mizzou and Oz may have had their fair share of prediction fail, but a_rosenthal was the big moron on that thread.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's easy to look back now and say that, "Oh, the lottery had to be rigged for the Bulls to get Derrick Rose. Future MVP from Chicago? Please."

Thing is, it was a heated debate, even within the Bulls front office if I remember right, about whether to take Rose or Beasley with that pick. If I remember right, there were Stephen A. Smith types coming out and reporting that it was a done deal: Beasley.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The only reason anyone bats an eye about last night is because it was the Cavs' second ball that netted them the selection. If it were their 17-65 ball, I doubt anyone even notices.

Draft saved Draft deleted