1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Simers rips colleague, kind of

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-20110713,0,4863364,full.column

So it's all a joke (maybe), but this seems more than a little unprofessional, right? I hope Baxter knew what was happening before it was approved.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's Simers being Simers.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, this guy baxter's grading system sure needs revisiting. wow. a 'c' to the dodgers? embarrassing for someone the times puts out there as a 'baseball expert.'

and this is just another example of t.j. being t.j. (which stands for 'tough jerk')... if his editors aren't going to police their staff with a more critical eye, well, by golly, 'tough jerk' will play the bad cop for 'em.

and i'll bet most readers are thinking, 'thank goodness someone's got a handle on this -- this guy baxter's grade made me think YIKES!'

4. Mizzougrad96

As a former beat writer, I HATED doing grades. I could write something like, "Injuries have prevented him from being as effective as he's been in the past. He's still a team leader and one of the most effective players on the team. Grade - C.

Next day in the locker room - "You gave me a C. Go fuck yourself..."

5. Illino

Illino Member

It seems petty. The point is good, but the idea is senseless.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

YUP.

an awful exercise for beat writers. loved by readers. hated by players... dunno what it's like in other sports, but i covered the jets/the nfl for 27 years. perhaps 'cause they're used to it since they're 'graded' by their coach's weekly, rarely did i ever have a problem with player reaction for more than a day or two. savvy players get it and don't gripe if they agree the grade is fair. the players who overreact were almost always neither good enough nor smart enough to worry about.

7. Mizzougrad96

I had an editor change a B- grade to a C+ once and the player in question (a damn good quote) didn't talk to me for four weeks as a result.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's T.J. being T.J. Worked with Kevin (good guy) and reading what he wrote, sounds like he's brushed it off.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just T.J. being T.J. He goes back and forth with Plaschke and Dwyre as well at times.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't think he did anything wrong. He's doing what he's done for ages.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've worked with both of them, although don't know Baxter (only briefly) nearly so well.

T.J. being T.J. sums it up. Nothing to see here, really.

Grades and midseason awards are the same as mock drafts. Hate to do 'em -- and have to do 'em, because readers love them. (Midseason awards isn't so bad, compared to the other two.)

Edit: He brought Baxter into it, too. Seems like Kevin is a good sport and understands the T.J. Way.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I know Simers' reputation, but I think jokingly making fun of your longtime fellow columnist and your former boss are different than picking on the Dodgers beat guy, who is clearly making significantly less than you. I don't really have a problem with this, unless Baxter woke up this morning and thought, "Wait -- I thought Simers was just giving me a hard time through email. I had no idea this was for a column."

Then again, you could argue he should know better.

Draft saved Draft deleted