1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Quinn leaving NY Daily News for ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Nov 2, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

It looks like print is losing another as I was told yesterday that T.J. Quinn, who has been an investigative reporter for the NY Daily News, will be moving on to ESPN in that same position. Good luck to him.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48735/

...that's one locked though, so have at it with the Quinn kudos here...

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

I don't think he'll need luck with the big raise his bank account just got. Good for him.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Congrats to T.J., a great guy and great reporter.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Second and third that.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I wonder if he will be able to do the smae level of investigative work at ESPN?

Thoughts?

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The same level? No, he will -- as our friends in uniform say -- take it to the next level.

T.J.'s initiative, now backed by ESPN's resources: Want to fly somewhere just to check a tip that might not pan out? Sure, go for it.

T.J.'s a great guy, too. So is Mark Fainaru-Wada, en route to joining T.J. at ESPN

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

M F-W was not one I'd heard about until today so those other moves are still out there.
    These folks are serious. I think I've said that before.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ESPN to Newspapers: DROP DEAD!

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

How long until we are ALL working for the WWL as the internet's portion of the world's daily news feed?
    I mean, all of us move over to the Yahoo!, AOL, ESPN and CBSsports while all the news sides go work for WaPo.com, CNN, Fox and all the rest.
    When is that payday coming, or am I just delusional.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course they're serious. We'll see how serious they are in 10 years, when they've shelled out these massive salaries without the return they were hoping for because they lost the fee war to cable television, but that's then. This is now.

Newspapers/magazines really have nothing to fear so long as they're willing to adjust and develop talent. In other words, work hard. And take some chances on the things ESPN could care less about.

Like local stories.

That day is coming, I think. Sooner or later newspapers will understand that some jagoff at ESPN who floats into town for two days will attract more readers than the five people they're sending to some State U home college football game. It's about then that they'll either croak, or say "fuck, maybe we oughta cover stuff where ESPN isn't." Shiiiiit....maybe.

The media has engaged in a bias so fucking extraordinary when it comes to sports that you wonder when it, as a collective, steps back and realizes that readers still want stories. Not mundane shit about the top team in the area that five other news outlets have, but specific stuff, that only you got, and they'll only read in your rag.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree that local news is important, but too often the emphasis is on LOCAL and not news. How many times do you read the same stories about the same events about the same people that don't impact anything? And do you really think newspapers are concerned about developing talent? I see stuff in newspapers every day on the front page that fail to answer the simple question: why should I care?

Draft saved Draft deleted