1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T-ball coach pays player to bean teammate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

And you thought the "cancer kid" incident was bad. At least that coach waited until Little League. ::)

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06256/721322-85.stm

UNIONTOWN, PA -- In the summer of 2005, it was the Falcons versus the Pirates in the T-ball playoffs of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, and 8-year-old Keith Reese was the key Falcons player.

Yesterday, it was the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. Mark R. Downs Jr. in a Fayette County Common Pleas courtroom and, once again, Keith Reese was the key player.

Keith, who is now 9, testified that Mr. Downs, the coach of his T-ball team on June 27, 2005, offered him $25 if he would throw a baseball at an autistic teammate, injuring him so he would be unable to take part in the playoff game.

League rules require each player to play at least three innings.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Didn't this story come out a while ago?

Some sick shit, right there.

3. Trey Beamon

Yeah, the trial just started. This was likely discussed a while back -- I'm not in the mood to go digging through the SportsJournalists.com archives.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Channeling the ghosts from the Cancer Kid thread.
    I don't see anything wrong with it. The coach did the right thing. He's there to win and the best way to win is get the kid off the field. That's just good strategy. Winning is all that matters.

I, of course, hope dude goes to prison. The ass-raping prison. I also hope he gets "curbed" while he is there. Just remember back to American History X, if you don't recall. Or watch it again. Invite over black friends.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The best line of the story:

'Neither boy could remember who won the baseball game.'

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Anyone ever see that hed in the Onion:

Tee pitches perfect game in Special Olympics

?

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That guy is going to hell. Quickly. Do not pass go. Do not collect 25 dollars.

You're done, dude.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Or a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK, I laughed for a solid minute reading this, and none of my students got it.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Damnit you beat me to it

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Doubt the coach will get much -- if any -- jail time. So maybe we can think of a suitable punishment.

I say he has to show up at the autistic kids house three times a week and let the kid pelt him with baseballs till his arm is tired. Maybe 10 years of that should do it.

Plus, it's good exercise for the kid.

12. Trey Beamon

Tee-ball coach/asshole denies asking player to hit teammate, calls incident a "misunderstanding." ::)

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06256/721460-100.stm

Draft saved Draft deleted