1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse fires Greg Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Nov 16, 2008.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Hint: Don't hire someone who has never been a head coach, was villified a couple of times for being a bad NFL coordinator and has no recruiting ties to the east. You know, like the last time.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Bear shits in the woods, dog bites man, Syracuse fires Greg Robinson. Film at 11.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What channel?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What they need a is guy with east coast, and preferably New York, ties. Somebody who has college head coach experience as well.

The best guy I can think of off the top of my head is a current NFL DC with 14 years college head coaching experience. He won three outright conference titles, shared a fourth and led his teams to nine bowl games.

Only problem is, that's the guy Gross fired before he hired Robinson.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You aren't going to do a helluva lot better than Randy Edsall. He would be perfect for this job, and Syracuse knows it. It's just a matter of how much money they'd be willing to throw at him.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

They're probably not going to do better, though they'd have to. The guy's already in his fifties, if I'm not mistaken, and it's going to take him quite a few years to turn that program around.

It works for Paterno and Bowden, sure. But I don't know how many kids would really want to go play for an older coach who has a spotty record of winning with a boring offense in a bland conference where it rains all the time.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jeez, reading up on Gross, it doesn't sound like he'd be happy making the conventional pick, like an Edsall. Yet another former assistant AD from USC (like Barbara Hedges) causing havoc.
    What people don't realize is USC has about 20 assistant ADs...

But I do think SU needs a coach with a winning record as a head coach and Edsall's four games under .500 right now. Two bowl games, one win.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

That's a decent record for UConn.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a REALLY decent record for UConn, which has been Division I-A for less than 10 years.

He can win in Cowtown. He could win in 'Cuse. But I'd be surprised if UConn lets him go...or why he'd really want to go to 'Cuse. Use the Orange's interest to get another raise and extension? Sure. but why would he want to take over a longshot when he's already turned a longshot into a BCS contender?

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You really can't count UConn's first few years since it was a transitional program. Much the same as South Florida, although Webby U. has a better recruiting pool to tap.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking if you want a coach who was successful at UConn, has experience recruiting in the East and even spent a year in New York as a kid, you go with Skip Holtz.
    Former EC head coach Steve Logan, now the OC at BC wouldn't be bad either.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's got longtime Syracuse connections, BYH.

Draft saved Draft deleted