1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syracuse assistant facing molestation allegations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Nov 17, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HOW DARE THE POST-STANDARD NOT JUST RUN ONE PERSON'S ALLEGATION WITHOUT CHARGES! It's their fault it happened at all! [/sgrenwell]

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

From just what I saw on Sportscenter, Boeheim is denying some of what this guy said and really sticking behind Fine.

Post Standard has this to say:

I'm really hoping this turns out to be false.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF? Things are starting to get a little out of hand!

4. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My retort is that ESPN, and pretty much every outlet, sees no problem with doing it all the time - It's not like DWI or domestic abuse charges don't usually boil down to one person saying something vs. another.

I imagine the argument against publicizing it at all would be something like, "We don't want to destroy a person's career based on an uncorroborated accusation," because of the severity of a child abuse / molestation charge. However, if that's the case, why does it matter that there are now two uncorroborated accusations instead of just one? Where is the dividing line between when you need more than he said, she said to run a story?

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Legal question: Syracuse cops declined to pursue the matter in 2003 because statute of limitations had expired. So why are they looking into it now? Is the newest allegation within the time frame allowed by law?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The accuser sounds like he has the brain of Navin Johnson.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

" I found my purpose!"
    The difference between shit and shineola.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because with two sources, you at least have someone backing up the original charge. That doesn't necessarily mean the two sources aren't full of shit, but at least you can say that you're not just relying on one person's say-so.

Woodward and Bernstein used to have a rule that they needed at least two sources to corroborate anything unofficial they wrote in their Watergate series, for instance. They didn't always go by that rule, though, especially with Deep Throat. Sometimes, Deep Throat would be their only corroboration.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also because he's been put on administrative leave. THAT makes it enough smoke to post.

Two he-saids, I wouldn't be sold. But the school took action. That makes it headline-worthy.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If I'm at an outlet, I, in most cases, don't touch this stuff until:

(1) Charges or the filing of a formal civil action.
    (2) School takes action.

Even when the school takes an action with an administrative leave, I think long and hard about identifying someone as a sex offender until No. 1 occurs.

I'm not convinced I would have gone with the Fine story, even at this point.

We had a starting basketball player at a major conference school one year accused of sexual assault. It was in the public record and so forth because she had filed a police report. But we never went with it, and neither did anyone else. It would pop up on a message board from time to time. But the rule was no charges, no story.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep.

WWL in the clear here.

Draft saved Draft deleted