1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Switzerland says screw this neutrality BS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_on_fe_st/mistaken_invasion_2

Swiss accidentally invade Liechtenstein
    What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

"We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem," Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be the commanding officer of that company. :)

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

Of course there won't be any repercussions. What's Liechtenstein going to do to retaliate? Poke them with fondue forks?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What's the term for Liechtenstein?
    Liechtenstinians?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Lichtenstein? It's like Wisconsin . . .

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Maybe like Prarie du Chien alone. I think Wisconsin is slightly larger than Liechtenstein (62 square miles).

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Stripes" reference, Jack.

We zip in, we zip out.....

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Liechtensteiners, if my two years of German class are sticking with me.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Having worked in Switzerland, I know the Swiss would yell at them in Schewizerdeutsch--an incomprehsible form of German. It sounds like someone's gargling and throwing up all at the same time.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

There goes centuries of neutrality.

11. jboy

jboy Guest

I got my ass kicked in Wisconsin once.

Or was it:

I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Today Lichtenstein.

Tomorrow Vatican City!

Draft saved Draft deleted