1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swine flu 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: Swine flu outbreak in Mexico

Swine flu in Michigan now.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ha! I'll keep you updated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Mexicans may be lying about the death toll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

British ex-pats working in the health field in Mexico have been bombarding the BBC with reports that suggest the toll from swine flu is much higher.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The lack of information being reported from Mexico is troubling. I've been trying to read some of the newspapers in Mexico City through Bablefish (my Spanish sucks) and some of the comments on the stories seem to show that a lot of the citizens think the government is lying to them.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Troubling, yes. Not surprising in the least, however.

7. Armchair_QB

It will be interesting to watch how their government handles "shutting down" Mexico City. I don't see how that can be accomplished peacefully.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Doing some more browsing of newspaper sites in Mexico and a lot of them are slow or unresponsive. Their Internet infrastructure is probably woefully inadequate to handle global or perhaps a flood of local traffic.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't see how that can be accomplished at all.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This thing is being blown out of proportion. Someone in our coverage area got the swine flu. I went to the presser. The doctor said wash your hands and you'll be fine.

He said tamiflu works if you use it within the first 48 hours.

He also said it may not be passed from human to human. Woman who got it drove to Mich from San Antonio and didn't pass it to her family on the 2 day car trip.

11. Armchair_QB

A cynic would suggest that one of the reasons its being blown out of proportion up here is to take the economy off the front page.

I don't think it's being blown out of proportion south of the border however. It does sound very serious down there. Of course banana republics don't have a real good track record handling things like this.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just got back from a week in Mexico, heard nothing about until I arrived home and there was a news crew wanting to ask us questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted