1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swine flu 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 24, 2009.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Re: Swine flu outbreak in Mexico

STG, little medical knowledge here either, but the "normal" flu deaths are the elderly, people with chronic health issues and some children. One of the things the experts worry about with a new pandemic is that, like the 1918 flu, it would hit the 20 - 45 demographic hard.

Apparently, the 1918 flu triggered an unusually strong immune response in those infected, to the point where your own immune system could kill you. The young and healthy have the strongest immune systems and were, therefore, at greatest risk for such a reaction.

At least, that's what I remember from a PBS documentary a few years ago. Take it for what it's worth.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

<Raises hand.> I think we were all supposed to die from SARS a few years back. Or maybe it was the flesh-eating virus. Or maybe that was avian flu. It'll be something new and sexy for CNN to get people freaked out about again next year, too.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Doesn't matter. The fitness report on the banks is due Monday and the aftermath of that will make us all wish we'd get swine flu as the corporates push millions to the edge of disaster, one way or the other.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This thing sure did blow up quickly, considering it was the weekend.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

One dissenting voice on the "we're doomed" mindset:

http://www.esquire.com/features/best-n-brightest-2005/ESQ1205B&BEWALD_244

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many people are dead now?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

103 in Mexico, according to a story on CNN.com, but only 18 of those were confirmed to be from Swine Flu. The story also said there were 1,381 cases in Mexico. Maybe that's a lot, but I'd guess that in a country that size, you could find 1,381 cases of the flue any day of any year.

Pardon me for not panicking.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

OK...so I have a trip to Cancun planned for June 6-13, and this pig flu is really starting to irritate me.

For those who know about this virus, should I worry? How long should I hold off on buying our plane tickets? Will this thing be gone by June? Should I just plan on another vacation destination now?

Dammit.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You ever been to Cancun?

You wanna go?

Then go.

You could catch this shit sitting in your backyard. Go have a good time. Drink some beers, sit on the beach and catch a sunrise down there.

To date, you've got a better chance of getting hit by lightning than you do dying from this thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Never been. Desperately want to go. But I also desperately don't want to get sick while I'm there, either.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Yeah, I wouldn't go if I were you. Definitely stay home. And to help you out, I'll take your flight and hotel reservations.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

In today's world, where international travel is the norm, spread of infection is routine. It's not unusual to see cases of malaria or tuberculiosis far from an arbitrarily drawn international border. Infections tend not to pay attention to passport control.

That said, the best wa yto protect yourself from an infection is common sense. Handwashing and covering your face when you sneeze or cough goes a long way.

It will be interesting to see the effects on the country if the number of flu cases increases dramatically.

Draft saved Draft deleted