1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet Home Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's a natural. Probably because he was born in Kenya.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mizzou, I like you, but you seem to have long ago decided upon this premise that Obama has been a poor president and an unpopular one, and little can sway you otherwise. The economy took a while to get chugging - as it did under Reagan - but, for now, unemployment is receding. Health care was a huge legislative victory and most of the individual provisions enjoy widespread, cross-partisan support. In bringing Osama bin Laden to justice, he achieved a foreign policy victory for the ages. And like Zeke12 posts, polling data shows liberal Democrats to be generally approving of his performance, even if they may gripe about some of their pet issues - like gay marriage - not getting the push they would like to see.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You like me?

4. Dick Whitman

Of course.

None of this is personal to me.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're a regular ol' Sally Field.

FYI, Dick, the "fact" that Obama is a poor and unpopular president is a point that the Republicans are hammering on.

6. Mizzougrad96

He's going to win, so I really don't care anymore.

I'm treating this like the BCS, I'm rooting for chaos. :D

Hell, depending who gets the nomination for the GOP, I may even vote for him. :D

I will clarify... As I've said before, I am not rooting for unemployment to go up. I am not rooting for gas prices to continue to go up.

When I say "chaos" I mean a brokered convention or something that will liven things up this summer. I won't know what to do with myself if the election is boring and baseball is the only sport going on. :D

7. Dick Whitman

Well, he certainly is unpopular among the voters they have to capture right now. Once the general begins, they are going to have to pivot to "poor," and do a couple of things: (1) Reframe his successes as failures; (2) More importantly, try to keep attention on unambiguous "failures" like the credit downgrade.

8. Mizzougrad96

He has a 50 percent approval rating among all voters. And that's actually pretty damn good all things considered.

9. Dick Whitman

I have a severely conservative friend who said that the only reason he's voting Republican this time is because he wants the health care law repealed. He said if the Supreme Court invalidated it - which it won't, so it's largely a moot point anyway - he would vote for Obama because he thinks that any of these candidates would be defeated in 2016. His theory is that he'd trade two terms from 2017 to 2025 for one term now.

10. Mizzougrad96

Your friend is probably right. If Romney (or God forbid someone else) beats Obama, they serve one term and the democrats probably win in 2016. I couldn't even begin to guess who that person would be, but I don't think Romney would last two terms.

In 2016, the decent candidates come out and Rubio or Christie wins...

Or at least that's my spin on Obama getting re-elected... :D

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oh, there you go again, underestimating the GREAT ONE...

...when you know good and well all summer we'll have the "where will Peyton go? followed by "Is this new team a good fit" followed by "Look who Peyton ran off!" followed by "friction between Peyton and his new OC..." straight up to preseason camp, when the fun really begins.

12. Mizzougrad96

OK, you've given me hope. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted